University of Windsor

"CONSERVATION GENETICS:  NEW TOOLS FOR RESOURCE MANAGERS AND
CONSERVATION BIOLOGISTS"

Wednesday, December 20, 2000
10:30 - 11:30am

Location:
Main Conference Room (105)
NOAA  Great Lakes Environmental Research Lab
2205 Commonwealth Blvd.
Ann Arbor, MI

Contact:
David F. Reid
NOAA/GLERL
734-741-2019

Abstract - The application of modern molecular genetic techniques in
fisheries management and conservation has become commonplace.
However, much of the work has yielded ambiguous results, or, for other
reasons, has been of limited use to managers. I will describe a series
of conservation genetics projects that were funded by the BC Ministry
of Environment to address the issue of declining stocks of steelhead
trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss, (the anadromous form of rainbow trout).
These projects include steelhead population assessment using
hypervariable DNA markers (microsatellites) and DNA sequence analysis
to assess the phylogenetic relationship between steelhead and rainbow
trout. Using the steelhead as a case study, I hope to show that
conservation genetics can be a useful tool for applied as well as
basic science.

--
Renda S. Williams