GLIN==> Press Release: Great Lakes Governors release a road map for the future of Great Lakes water management

Press Release

Great Lakes Governors release a road map for the future of Great Lakes water management

Governors ask for public’s input

Embargoed until:                                                         Contact: Maggie Grant
9:00 A.M. EST, December 14, 2000                                         312-407-0177

On behalf of the Great Lakes Governors, Pennsylvania Governor and Council Chairman Tom Ridge today released Annex 2001, a proposed amendment to the Great Lakes Charter of 1985, for public review.  The Annex is currently under discussion with the governments of Ontario and Quebec.  Once finalized, the Annex would update the regional water management system for the Great Lakes in order to protect, conserve, restore, and improve the water and water dependent natural resources of the Great Lakes Basin.  The Governors welcome comments through the Council of Great Lakes Governors office until Wednesday, February 28, 2001.

Under the proposed Annex 2001, the Great Lakes Governors and the Premiers of Ontario and Quebec would:

Under the current Charter, the Governors and Premiers of Ontario and Quebec notify and consult with each other on proposals for diversions and consumptive uses of waters within their Great Lakes Basin of over five million gallons (19 million liters) per day.  Additionally, the Governors have direct authority over the Great Lakes waters within the United States through the WRDA.  Under the WRDA, no bulk export or diversions of Great Lakes waters from the basin can take place without the unanimous approval of all of the Great Lakes Governors.

“This proposed Annex represents a significant step forward in protecting our Great Lakes,” said Governor Ridge, “ The goal of the Annex is to ensure that we who live on and manage the Great Lakes on a day-to-day basis have the tools necessary to make certain that our water is used wisely and effectively to the benefit of all of our citizens.  The public’s input in this process is critical as we work with our counterparts in Ontario and Quebec to build a more effective regional water management system.”

Following the public comment period, the Governors, in consultation with the Premiers, will review the comments and make changes before releasing the final Annex 2001.  They will then begin developing a set of more binding agreements as agreed to in the Annex.

Comments should be forwarded to the Council of Great Lakes Governors by e-mail at cglg@cglg.org, by fax at 312-407-0038, or by mail to:

    Annex 2001 Comments
    Council of Great Lakes Governors
    35 East Wacker Drive
    Suite 1850
    Chicago, IL  60601

The Council of Great Lakes Governors is a non-profit, non-partisan partnership of Governors of the Great Lakes states—Illinois (George H. Ryan), Indiana (Frank O’Bannon), Michigan (John Engler), Minnesota (Jesse Ventura), New York (George E. Pataki), Ohio (Bob Taft), Pennsylvania (Tom Ridge), and Wisconsin (Tommy G. Thompson).  Through the Council, the Governors collectively tackle the environmental and economic challenges facing the citizens of the region.

The full text of Annex 2001 can be accessed at www.cglg.org/projects/water/annex2001.pdf

###