GLIN==> The Great Lakes Program to Ensure Environmental and Economic Prosperity

To Our Friends in the Great Lakes Community,

We are pleased to present a "working draft" of a compilation of federal
legislative and appropriations priorities that would help secure a clean
environment, strong economy and high quality of life for residents of
the eight state Great Lakes region.

 >> Read the entire Great Lakes Program to Ensure Environmental and
Economic Prosperity (pdf):
http://www.glc.org/announce/01/3-01glprogram.pdf <<

 >> Read remarks by G. Tracy Mehan, III, (Chair, Michigan Delegation to
the Great Lakes Commission) at the Great Lakes Congressional Breakfast,
March 15, 2001: http://www.glc.org/announce/01/3-01tracymehan.html <<

We emphasize that this draft statement is a "work in progress" and is
intended to be a contribution to broader efforts to secure region-wide
consensus as a large-scale legislative/appropriations package is
developed. Toward that end, we applaud an emerging effort through the
Great Lakes governors and Great Lakes Congressional Task Force to do
just that, and we pledge our support to a mutual consensus.

This statement offers several themes (and associated priority actions)
that could be pursued in this and future years. These themes include
cleaning up toxic hot spots; shutting the door on invasive species;
controlling nonpoint source pollution; restoring and conserving wetlands
and critical coastal habitat; ensuring the sustainable use of our water
resources; strengthening our decision support capability; and enhancing
the commercial and recreational value of our waterways.

We believe that it is our charge to ensure environmental and economic
prosperity for the Great Lakes; the greatest freshwater resource on the
face of the earth deserves no less.

The Great Lakes Commission appreciates your consideration of this
statement and welcomes the opportunity to work with you on mutual
interests, and on a broader statement of regional consensus. Please also
let us know how we can further support and assist you in your efforts.
We welcome a call, and invite you to contact your state delegation chair
(see below) or Commission staff at 734-665-9135.

Nathaniel E. Robinson, Chairman of the Board (and Chair, Wisconsin
Delegation), 608-266-7257

Samuel W. Speck, Vice Chair, (and Chair, Ohio Delegation), 614-265-6565

Irene Brooks, Chair, Pennsylvania Delegation, 717-772-4785

Frank Kudrna, Chair, Illinois Delegation, 630-969-3060

Larry Macklin, Chair, Indiana Delegation, 317-232-4020

G. Tracy Mehan III, Chair, Michigan Delegation, 517-335-4056

Thomas Huntley, Chair, Minnesota Delegation, 651-296-2228

Gerald Mikol, Alternate Commissioner, New York Delegation, 716-851-7200

---
The Great Lakes Commission, chaired by Nathaniel E. Robinson
(Wisconsin), is a nonpartisan, binational compact agency created by
state and U.S. federal law and dedicated to promoting a strong economy,
healthy environment and high quality of life for the Great Lakes-St.
Lawrence region and its residents. The Commission consists of state
legislators, agency officials and governors' appointees from its eight
member states. Associate membership for Ontario and Quebec was
established through the signing of a "Declaration of Partnership." The
Commission maintains a formal Observer program involving U.S. and
Canadian federal agencies, tribal authorities, binational agencies and
other regional interests. The Commission offices are located in Ann
Arbor, Michigan.
---
The full text of this announcement and related documents are online at
http://www.glc.org/announce/01/3-01glprogram.html