GLIN==> Upcoming GLERL/CILER Seminar

Dr. Bopaiah A. Biddanda
University of Minnesota
Thursday, May 10, 2001
Time: 2:30 - 3:30 p.m.
Location: GLERL Main Conference Room #105
Contact: Dr. Thomas Johengen (734) 741-2203

TITLE:
“Big bacterial appetite: Implications for the fate of primary production
in lakes and oceans”

ABSTRACT:
During the last 25 years there has been an explosion of ideas and
research regarding the importance of microbial life on our planet.  For
example, based on the finding that most of the aquatic biomass and
activity is microbial, a paradigm of microbial food web has been
developed that has fundamentally changed how we view the movement of
energy and materials in aquatic ecosystems.  Knowledge of how land,
water and atmosphere link together, and how microorganisms and metazoans
interact, are critical to our understanding of how energy and materials
(including pollutants) circulate in nature.  In this seminar, I will
draw from a decade of marine and limnetic research  (from the Gulf of
Mexico to the Great Lakes) to demonstrate the large appetite of small
heterotrophic bacterioplankton and consider its implications to the
carbon balance of natural waters.

Renda S. Williams
Executive Secretary to the Director
Phone: 734-741-2245