GLIN==> Our Thanks to the Canadian People!

	Amid all the news surrounding the tragedy in New York City, one
story that has received little attention so far is the great hospitality
being provided to U.S. travelers stranded in Canada and the many
contributions to the recovery effort that Canadians are making. The
following are a few examples I saw in reports on Canadian TV last night.

	The first example is the hospitality being provided U.S. travellers
who suddenly descended on their cities from the air. The residents of Gander
and St. John's, Newfoundland, and Halifax, Nova Scotia, have turned out to
help provide food and lodging as 5,000-6,000 people arrived at each of their
small airports.

> In Halifax, a thousand Haligonian homes opened to receive complete
> strangers. Halifax knows what New York City is going through. During World
> War I, a munitions ship in the harbor collided with another ship, caught
> fire and exploded. The loss of life in Halifax was comparable to what New
> York City suffered two days ago.
>
> Vancouver, Toronto, and other cities have similarly helped our stranded
> travellers.  Canadians have also been donating blood and money for the
> recovery effort and receiving some of the wounded in their hospitals.
>
> People across Canada have been responding in many helpful and heartfelt
> ways to the terrorist-caused plane crashes in New York City and
> Washington, D.C.
>
> These acts of kindness reflect the reality behind the words of "good
> neighbors" and "partners" so often used to describe relationship between
> Canada and the United States.

	Philip Keillor