GLIN==> What's New & Notable, 9/14/01

For daily Great Lakes News, bookmark http://www.great-lakes.net/news/

To Our Friends and Colleagues in NY, PA and Washington, D.C.:
We express our deepest sorrow for the tragic, unconscionable acts that
have affected so many lives within the Great Lakes region and beyond.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you, your families, and your friends
and colleagues.

IJC BIENNIAL FORUM postponed
http://www.ijc.org/ijcweb-e.html
In view of this week's tragic terrorism activities in the United States,
the International Joint Commission's Biennial Forum, scheduled for Sept.
14-15 in Montreal, has been canceled.

St. Marys Paper undertakes PROACTIVE STUDY IN WATER QUALITY PROTECTION
http://www.ulern.on.ca/pdf_files/mesorelease1.pdf
As part of Cycle 3 of Environment Canada's environmental effects
monitoring program, St. Marys Paper Ltd. in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario,
has launched a mesocosm study, designed to examine the effects of their
pulp and paper effluent on aquatic species in the St. Marys River.
Results of the study will be used to refine the use of mesocosms as a
way for pulp and paper companies across Canada to monitor the effects of
their effluent.

WATER SUPPLY MANAGEMENT OPTIONS for Northeastern Illinois
http://www.uic.edu/cuppa/upp/faculty/jaffe/index.html
This new report offers critical information about the Chicago metro
region's water supply resources, the legal and institutional framework
for Great Lakes diversions, and unique primary research materials, such
as the Great Lakes Mediation Memorandum of Understanding between
Illinois and the other Great Lakes states.

National AQUATIC NUISANCE SPECIES Clearinghouse
http://www.aquaticinvaders.org/
At this new, enhanced web site you'll find an extensive library of
research, public policy and outreach education publications pertaining
to invasive marine and freshwater aquatic nuisance species in North America.

If you're interested in exchanging links with GLIN or furthering your
partnership with the regional network, visit
http://www.great-lakes.net/about/partner.html

Christine Manninen
GLIN Webmaster/Project Manager
Great Lakes Commission