GLIN==> NOAA SEMINAR ANNOUNCEMENTS (Ann Arbor area)

NOAA SEMINAR ANNOUNCEMENTS (TWO)

DATE:  FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 9, 2001

TIME:  1:00 P.M.

TITLE: "AN INTRODUCTION TO SEARCH AND RESCUE PLANNING TOOLS AND
THEIR USE IN THE HUNT FOR THE SS CHICORA"

SPEAKER: Art Allen
U.S. Coast Guard Research and Development Center
Groton, Connecticutt

WHERE:  GLERL Main Conference Room

CONTACT:  Dr. David Schwab, NOAA/GLERL, 734-741-2120

- - -

DATE:  TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 13, 2001

TIME: 10:00 a.m.

TITLE: "GLOBAL REDISTRIBUTION OF BACTERIOPLANKTON AND VIRIOPLANKTON
VIA SHIPS' BALLAST WATER"

SPEAKER: Dr. Fred C. Dobbs (Sea Grant scientist)
Associate Professor, Department of Ocean, Earth and Atmospheric
Sciences, Old Dominion University (currently a Visiting Scientist at GLERL)

WHERE: GLERL Main Conference Room

ABSTRACT: As ships take on ballast water in one port and discharge
it at another, their ballast tanks can grow to contain a diverse mix
of plankton, benthos - and even nekton! As a result, discharged
ballast water is a primary vector for global transport of
nonindigenous species.  Research on ballast-water introductions
has focused largely on metazoans, yet microorganisms are
indisputably the most abundant of aquatic organisms. Given their
high densities, high reproductive rates, broad tolerances to physical
conditions, and the capability to form resting stages, microorganisms
likely are frequent invaders of coastal ecosystems. I will present
microbiological results obtained from a)ballast water of ships
arriving in the Chesapeake Bay; b) an experiment testing the efficacy
of at-sea ballast-water exchange; and c) ships declaring "no ballast
on board" as they enter the Great Lakes.  For introductions to the
seminar, see:

http://www.epa.gov/owow/estuaries/coastlines/apr01/microstowaways.html
and
http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/brochures/nobob/nobob.pdf

CONTACT: Dr. Rochelle Sturtevant, NOAA/GLERL, 734-741-2287

Visit the GLERL Seminar Web Page for our current schedule of future seminars:
   http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/news/seminars/

If you do not wish to receive our direct email seminar notices,
please send a message to "reid@glerl.noaa.gov" with the words
"REMOVE SEMINAR" in the subject line.

--

David F. Reid, Ph.D.
National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)

Visit the GLERL Website:

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov