GLIN==>MIDWEST PROVES RECYCLING PAYS

CONTACT: (Media) Karen Thompson,(312) 353-8547;(Technical) Lucy
Stanfield,(312) 886-1121       For Immediate Release No.01-OPA183

MIDWEST PROVES RECYCLING PAYS
CHICAGO (Nov. 21, 2001)

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 5 states lead the nation in
economic impacts of recycling, according to the U.S. Recycling Economic
Information Study.

On a national level, the recycling industry supports more than 56,000
recycling establishments that gross more than $236 billion in annual
revenues and employ more than 1.1 million people with a payroll of $37
billion.

In the Midwest states of Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota
and Wisconsin, more than 8,000 recycling and reuse businesses employ
275,000 workers with a payroll of almost $10 billion and gross more than
$62.5 billion in annual sales, according to available data.

"This study proves what we have said for a long time.  Recycling is not
just good for the environment, it also creates jobs and contributes
significantly to our economy," said Region 5 Administrator Thomas
Skinner.

According to C. Robert Taylor, Midwest director of the U.S. Department
of Commerce Economic Development Administration "we recognize the
economic importance and job-creating power of the region's recycling and
reuse industry and applaud EPA for proving that fact."

The study, commissioned by EPA in cooperation with the states and the
National Recycling Coalition, reinforces the well-established
environmental benefits of recycling and reuse such as cutting pollution,
conserving natural resources, saving energy and reducing greenhouse gas
emissions.

>From the local cities and towns that collect household recyclables to
the large scale businesses that manufacture state-of-the-art products
from recycled materials, the financial and employment benefits appear to
be at an all-time high.

"In order to reach EPA's national target of a 35 percent recycling rate
by 2005, we must support markets for recyclables and encourage consumers
to seek out and buy recycled  products," said Skinner.  1999 data show a
27.8 percent national recycling rate.

For more information on the REI study, go to EPA's Jobs Through
Recycling Web site http://www.epa.gov/jtr