GLIN==> Groundbreaking binational conservation vision for the lower Detroit River ecosystem

Posted on behalf of Mary Lynn Becker mary-lynn.becker@dfait-maeci.gc.ca

---
On behalf of U.S. Congressman John D. Dingell; Canadian Deputy Prime
Minister Herb Gray; Canadian Member of Parliament Susan Whelan; and Peter
Stroh, Chairman of the Greater Detroit American Heritage River Initiative,
we would like to invite you to a ceremony announcing a groundbreaking,
binational Conservation Vision for the Lower Detroit River Ecosystem. This
ceremony will be held at 10 a.m. on Saturday, December 15, 2001 at the
Wyandotte Boat Club located at 1 Pine Street in Wyandotte Michigan.
Directions to the Boat Club and a map are attached.

Efforts are underway in both the United States and Canada to establish the
lower Detroit River as the first international wildlife refuge in North
America.  Progress on this international wildlife refuge effort, to date,
will also be announced at the ceremony, including the successful acquisition
of funds from the North American Wetlands Conservation Act to acquire and
preserve Calf Island in the lower Detroit River for conservation and
recreational purposes.

Recognizing the need to protect this invaluable resource, we convened a
binational workshop in November 2000 to reach Canada-United States agreement
on a conservation vision for the lower Detroit River ecosystem.  All of us
understand that the Detroit River serves as the foundation of our economies,
provides numerous recreational opportunities and ecological values, and
enhances our quality of life.  Further, we all recognize that the Detroit
River is a shared resource between our two countries, and, therefore, we
have a shared responsibility.

Copies of the new publication, A Conservation Vision for the Lower Detroit
River Ecosystem --- produced by the Metropolitan Affairs Coalition, which
serves as program manager of the Greater Detroit American Heritage River
Initiative, will be available at the ceremony.

We hope you will join us for this celebration on Saturday, December 15th at
10:00 a.m.  As you know, the Detroit River was honored to become one of 14
American Heritage Rivers in the United States in 1998.  On July 19, 2001,
the Detroit River received a Canadian Heritage River designation, making it
the first binational heritage river system in North America.

For more information on the event and Conservation Vision please contact:

 * Lauri Elbing, Congressman John D. Dingell's Office
(313-846-1276); or

 * Ken Schmidt, Essex Region Conservation Authority/Canadian
Heritage River Initiative (519-776-5209, extension 353).

Wyandotte Boat Club map.doc