GLIN==> Query re: Canadian Env. & Other Impacts of Oil and Gas Drilling in Great Lakes

Posted on behalf of Christine Elwell <christine@cielap.org>

---
Has anyone heard of environmental or other impacts related to on-going oil
and gas drilling on the Canadian side of Lake Erie and Lake Ontario? Some
Great Lakes states are trying to make permanent moratoria on drilling in and
under the lakes on US side. We are told by Ont MNR that there are no
Canadian problems of releases/spills or other issues associated with
drilling on the Cdn side. Yet reporting by industry related to the
extraction of oil and gas is exempted from the Cdn National Pollution
Release Inventory, so there is no independent public information available
to confirm or deny the government's claim of no impacts.

If any one follows this subject and/or has heard of any problems over the
years, could they please get in touch with me for our research into this
gap. Thanks and Happy Holiday, Christine

Christine Elwell
Senior Policy and Legal Analyst
Canadian Institute for Environmental Law and Policy
517 College Street, Suite 400
Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M6G 4A2
Tel: 416 923 3529 x 25
Fax: 416 926 5949