GLIN==> Hacking of web site

----- Forwarded by Paul Focazio/MSRC on 01/16/2002 12:05 PM -----

                    Barbara Branca
                    <bbranca@NOTES.CC.S       To:     SG-COMM@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
                    UNYSB.EDU>                cc:
                    Sent by: MIT              Subject:     Hacking of web site
                    Sea-Grant
                    Communication
                    Managers
                    <SG-COMM@MITVMA.MIT
                    .EDU>

                    01/16/2002 11:46 AM
                    Please respond to
                    bbranca

Dear All:

Yesterday afternoon, January 15, NYSG's web site was down for a short time
due to a power outage on our campus. (We did run our server on battery for
a short time.) When our system came back on line, there were some reports
from people on and off our campus that our home page had been replaced by a
hacker's brief message. It has since been corrected. We are currently
adding several more security patches. We were also just in the process of
upgrading our system's software.

Paul Focazio found the source: an exe. file in the root folder that
corrupted the home page. We believe it is likely that the file could have
been lurking there for a while but only executed when we came back on line
yesterday afternoon. Furthermore, we have found evidence of the W32.Nimda
virus on our server.

I thought communicators network-wide should know, especially those who have
their own servers.

Barbara Branca
New York Sea Grant Communicator
121 Discovery Hall
Stony Brook, New York 11794-5001
Phone 631.632.6956
Fax 631.632.6917
Barbara.Branca@stonybrook.edu
30 Years of Bringing Science to the Shore
www.nyseagrant.org