GLIN==> Register now for "Great Lakes Day in Washington": March 14

For immediate release
January 30, 2002

Register now for "Great Lakes Day in Washington"
March 14, 2002 in Washington, D.C.
http://www.glc.org/announce/02/01-02greatlakesday.html

TO: All Friends of the Great Lakes
FROM: Michael J. Donahue, GLC President/CEO
DATE: January 21, 2002
RE: Register now for Great Lakes Day in Washington

On behalf of Chairman Nathaniel E. Robinson and our Board of Directors,
it is my pleasure to invite you to the 2002 Great Lakes Day in
Washington events. This long-standing annual tradition provides a great
opportunity for the region's policymakers and opinion leaders, as well
as Members of Congress and staff, to share priorities and plans for
Great Lakes protection and management.

Space is limited and demand always exceeds available seats. Therefore,
you are encouraged to register well before the March 7 deadline by
completing and returning the registration form (available online at
http://www.glc.org/announce/02/greatlakesdayregister.pdf).

The day will begin with the annual Great Lakes Congressional Breakfast
sponsored jointly by the Great Lakes Commission and the
Northeast-Midwest Institute. The theme is "Setting Our Agenda: Restoring
the World's Greatest Freshwater Resource." Invited speakers include
co-chairs of the Senate and House Great Lakes Task Forces; a Great Lakes
governor; and a representative of the White House Council on
Environmental Quality.

A Great Lakes Issues Briefing with regional leadership and Congressional
staff will follow the Breakfast. Sponsored by the Great Lakes
Commission, it will offer attendees additional detail on regional
issues, as well as the priorities of the member states of the Great
Lakes Commission. Invited speakers include U.S. Environmental Protection
Agency and Environment Canada officials, and staff from the Great Lakes
Task Force and Senate and House offices.

The Great Lakes Congressional Breakfast will be held in Room B-339 of
the Rayburn House Office Building from 8:00 - 9:30 a.m. The Great Lakes
Issues Briefing will be held from 10:00 a.m.- Noon at a nearby location
to be announced.

Programs and speaker commitments are now being finalized and will soon
be available on the Great Lakes Commission's website and in follow-up
correspondence. In the interim, please call me, or Dr. Jon
MacDonagh-Dumler at 734/665.9135 should you have questions.

Thank you, and I hope to see you in Washington on March 14!

To download a registration form, see
http://www.glc.org/announce/02/greatlakesdayregister.pdf

Contact: Michael J. Donahue, President/CEO
E-mail: mdonahue@glc.org
Phone: 734/665.9135
Fax: 734/665.4370

---
The Great Lakes Commission , chaired by Nathaniel E. Robinson
(Wisconsin), is a nonpartisan, binational compact agency created by
state and U.S. federal law and dedicated to promoting a strong economy,
healthy environment and high quality of life for the Great Lakes - St.
Lawrence region and its residents. The Commission consists of state
legislators, agency officials, and governors' appointees from its eight
member states. Associate membership for Ontario and Québec was
established through the signing of a "Declaration of Partnership." The
Commission maintains a formal Observer program involving U.S. and
Canadian federal agencies, tribal authorities, binational agencies and
other regional interests. The Commission offices are located in Ann
Arbor, Michigan.