GLIN==> (Correction) Michigan Greens Join Sweetwater Alliance in Supporting Ice Mountain Boycott

Posted on behalf of John Anthony La Pietra <jalp@internet1.net>

---
>>               Green Party of Michigan               <<

For More Information Contact:
----------------------------
Marc Reichardt -- Chair, GPMI
  phone:   734-668-9628
  e-mail:  treasurer@migreens.org

>        Michigan Greens Join Sweetwater Alliance
>           in Supporting Ice Mountain Boycott
>                     (Correction)

     On May 24, the Green Party of Michigan (GPMI) sent out a
press release entitled "Michigan Greens Join Sweetwater Alliance
in Supporting Ice Mountain Boycott."  In that article, several
statements were unintentionally misattributed to Dr. Marty
Kaufman, head of the Earth Sciences Department at the
University of Michigan-Flint.

    During his presentation at a state membership meeting
of GPMI, Dr. Kaufman did not directly address the issue
of possible environmental impacts of Perrier/Nestle's Ice
Mountain plant in Mecosta County, and never explicitly
stated or inferred that Perrier's withdrawal of groundwater
in Michigan or elsewhere would deplete (or has depleted)
the aquifer(s).  Neither did Dr. Kaufman review the history
of Perrier/Nestle water-extraction plants in Florida and
Pennsylvania, nor the resistance which drove the corporation
out of Wisconsin.  This was done by others present.

    Dr. Kaufman did review the history of water resources in
the United States, and how the management of water resources
came to be assigned to the Army Corps of Engineers and other
large engineering groups.

    Dr. Kaufman concluded his remarks by asking why people
were willing to spend many times the price of treated water
for bottled water.  He suggested that this may be due to
people's lack of confidence in the water supply, but also
stated that it may be due to the failure of the state and
federal governments to adequately fund the Clean Water Act.

    In that same article, Tom Mair, a resident of northern
Michigan and an activist involved in local protests of the
Mecosta County Ice Mountain plant, was quoted as saying, "The
water is being taken out from under our feet.  The neighbors
of the wells are experiencing lower water pressure.  The
neighbors will have to drill deeper wells at their own cost."
Perrier, through a representative, has since claimed that
these statements are "false".

    Perrier/Nestle's bottling of ground water in several
states -- including Florida, Pennsylvania, Texas, Wisconsin,
and now Michigan -- has been the focus of a number of lawsuits
and new legislation aimed at controlling water use, as well as
numerous activism campaigns and protests.  A number of Michigan
groups -- including Michigan Citizens for Water Conservation
and the Sweetwater Alliance -- have called for a boycott of
Perrier/Nestle products.  The following web sites offer
additional information about activism surrounding Perrier's
bottling and selling of ground water:

    www.saveamericaswater.com  (nationwide information)
    www.savemiwater.com        (Michigan)
    www.saveourspringsinc.com  (Florida)