Milwaukee Clean Water Forum on Saturday, October 5, 2002.

Protecting the Watershed and Improving Water Quality: A Public
Dialogue exploring options and issues

Saturday, October 5, 2002
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Student Union, 2200 East Kenwood Blvd.
7:30 am to 4:30 pm

Join scientists, government officials and environmentalists in an
important dialogue. Find out what is being done, learn in
non-technical scientific terms, ask questions, and participate in
the discussion.  Preserving this resource is too important to
leave it up to someone else!

The forum will feature the following keynote addresses:

Morning keynote
Kelly Cave, Director, Wayne County, Michigan
Department of Environment Watershed Management Division
"Advancing a Comprehensive Watershed Management Approach: A Case
Study of the Rouge River National Wet Weather Demonstration
Project"

Luncheon keynote:
Chris Yoder, Senior Research Associate/Principal Investigator
Midwest Biodiversity Institute &
Center for Applied Bioassessment and Biocriteria (MBI/CABB)
"Do the Numbers Add Up? Challenges in Assessing Urban Watersheds"

Closing keynote:
Timothy Ehlinger, Associate Professor
UWM Department of Biological Sciences
"Our Water's Future:  Will we go with the flow or swim against
the current?"

Ten concurrent panels of experts will include the topics:

. Are there fish to eat and can we eat the fish?
. Is our water getting cleaner?
. What is 'non-point source' pollution?
. Celebrating water as an organizing theme in our community
. How do land use & development impact water quality?
. Should we worry about sewer overflows?
. Can I swim at the beach?
. What are watershed and wetlands? How do they work?
. Preparing for terrorism?
. How do the Great Lakes work and how are they changing?

The Conference will be held in the UWM Union, 2200 E Kenwood
Blvd., Milwaukee,
WI. Parking will be available in the Union parking garage.
Registration check-in will
begin at 7:30 a.m. and will take place on the first floor of the
building.

Sponsors:
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
 +Center for Urban Initiatives and Research
 +Freshwater Initiative of The Milwaukee Idea
 +Great Lakes WATER Institute
 +Department of Urban Planning
Marquette University
Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District
Milwaukee Water Works
Southeast Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission
University of Wisconsin Sea Grant Institute
University of Wisconsin Water Resources Institute
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources

Contributing Sponsors:
Miller Brewing Company
WE Energies

The complete program, speaker information, and a form for mailing
or faxing registration is available is downloadable in either pdf
or Word format at:
http://www.uwm.edu/MilwaukeeIdea/events.htm

Registration cost for the daylong forum is $40 general public,
$20 full-time students
and includes continental breakfast, luncheon and reception.

To Register:
Program No. 7800-8888

If you have a VISA, MASTERCARD, AMERICAN EXPRESS or company
purchase
order number, you may phone in your registration to (414)
227-3200 or
1-800-222-3623.  Please make checks payable to UW-Milwaukee.  You
will receive
confirmation of registration by mail.

On-line registration by credit card is available at:
http://www.uwm.edu/UniversityOutreach/registration/onlineform.shtml

We hope that you will share this information with others
interested in water quality issues.

Fran Luebke
Project Coordinator
Greater Milwaukee Clean Water Forum