GLIN==> Hi! Environmental News- Great Lakes Directory

Hi GLINAnnounce,

Here are your weekly Great Lakes environmental jobs, events and news headlines. From Craig Minowa of the Environmental Association for Great Lakes Education (EAGLE) Craig@GreatLakesDirectory.org. More headlines, action alerts, resources, grants, jobs, free activist software at http://www.GreatLakesDirectory.org

QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
"For in the end, we will save only what we love, we will love only what we understand, and we will understand only what we are taught." --Senegal

FACT OF THE WEEK:
Only one per cent of the water in the Great Lakes is renewable. The other 99 per cent is the inheritance from the last glacial melt, deposited over 10,000 years ago.

THIS WEEK’S ACTION ALERT:

9/11 - ACTION ALERT: Stop the Great Lakes Navigation Study
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/091102_great_lakes.html

THIS WEEK’S HEADLINES:
9/19 - Water Shortage: Drought Afflicts Nearly Half of U.S.
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/091902_water_crisis.htm

9/19 - Global Water Crisis: Water is Blue Gold
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/091902_blue_gold.htm

9/19 - Groups Protest Privatization of Great Lakes Water
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/091902_privatization.htm

9/19 - Students Rally Against Companies Bottling Great Lakes Water (MI)
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/mi/091902_great_lakes.htm

9/19 - EPA Reveals Global Warming's Impacts on Great Lakes
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/091902_great_lakes.htm

9/18 - Lake Erie may be dying once again
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/091902_lake_erie.htm

9/18 - Bill would limit exotic species in the Great Lakes
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/091802_great_lakes.htm

9/18 - Great Lakes Invasive Fish Moves Through Wisconsin (WI)
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/wi/091802_great_lakes.htm

9/18 - Toxic Algae Growing in Lake Erie
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/091802_great_lakes.html

9/18 - Water Crisis: US summer of 2002 hottest since 1930s Dust Bowl
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/091902_drought.htm

9/17 - Canada:Climate Change to Bring Droughts Pests and Floods to Great Lakes
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/091402_great_lakes.html

9/17 - New York Times: Bush Orders EPA to Ignore Greeenhouse Gases
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/091302_great_lakes.htm

9/17 - New Research Says Ducks are Dying From Toxin in Great Lakes
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/091702_great_lakes.htm

9/17 - Dead Zone Causes Scientists to Question Health of Great Lakes
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/091702_great_lakes.html

9/16 - Exotic Virus Threatens Great Lakes Carp
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/091602_great_lakes.html

9/16 - Re-engineering Great Lakes for Bigger Ships Would Be Harmful
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/091602_great_lakes.htm

9/16 - Great Lakes Clean-up Lags While Exotic Species Attack
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/091502_great_lakes.htm

9/15 - Governments Urged to Revive Great Lakes
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/091402_great_lakes.htm

9/15 - Invasive Species Costing U.S. over $140 Billion
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/091202_great_lakes.html

9/14 - International Commission Says Great Lakes Cleanup is Too Slow
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/091202_ijc.htm

9/14 - Great Lakes:Logging Proposal Leaves Communities Vulnerable to Wildfires
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/091202_logging.htm

9/13 - USGS Maps Aquatic Life in the Great Lakes
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/091202_great_lakes.htm

9/13 - Lead Bullets Still Poisoning Region's Lakes
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/091202_lead.htm

9/12 - Indianapolis Air Quality is Worst Since 1980s (IN)
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/in/091202_great_lakes.htm

9/12 - Wisconsin Water Environmental News Briefs (WI)
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/wi/091202_great_lakes.html

9/12 - Major Adjustments to State's Impaired Water List (WI)
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/wi/091202_great_lakes.htm

9/11 - Great Lakes Legislation News Updates
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/091102_legislation.htm

9/10 - In a Thirsty World, Who Owns the Water?
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/091002_water_privatization.htm

9/10 - 800 to 1,000 Raptors Mysteriously Dying Around Great Lakes
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/091002_great_lakes.html

9/10 - Great Lakes: West Nile Virus Has Now Infected 111 Bird Species
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/091002_great_lakes.htm

9/10 - Environmentalists vs. Developers: State Wetlands Policy Debate (IN)
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/in/091002_great_lakes.html

9/9 - Environmentalists Concerned About Power Cable Under Lake Erie
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/090702_great_lakes.htm

9/9 - Powerful Great Lakes Facts
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/090902_great_lakes.htm

9/9 - Great Lakes Aquarium Plagued By Money Woes (MN)
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/mn/090902_great_lakes.htm

9/6 - Minnesota to Represent U.S. At Worldwide Summit on Mercury Pollution (MN)
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/mn/090602_great_lakes.htm

9/5 - Plan to Carve Deep Navigation Trench Through Great Lakes
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/090502_great_lakes.html

9/5 - Water Privatization: Selling the Great Lakes For Profit
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/090502_water_export.htm

9/5 - Exotic Species: Eurasian Ruffe Invades Great Lakes
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/zarticles/090502_great_lakes.htm
------------------------------------

GREAT LAKES ENVIRONMENTAL JOBS:
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/jobs.htm