GLIN==> Greater Milwaukee Clean Water Forum

On October 5, 2002, UWM will host the Greater Milwaukee Clean Water Forum
from
8:00 am - 4:30 pm in the Student Union. The purpose of this one-day
conference
is to explore--from a layperson's perspective--the current status of water
quality in our area lakes and rivers as well as challenges we face in
improving
and sustaining water quality.   The objective is to increase knowledge and
understanding of water quality issues.

Three keynote speakers will discuss national and local efforts to manage and

protect watersheds.  Ten panels will be devoted to timely topics such as:

*	Are there fish to eat and can we eat the fish?
*	Is our water getting cleaner?
*	What is 'nonpoint source' pollution?
*	Celebrating water as an organizing theme in our community
*	How do land use & development impact water quality?
*	Should we worry about sewer overflows?
*	Can I swim at the beach?
*	What are watersheds and wetlands? How do they work?
*	Preparing for terrorism?
*	How do the Great Lakes work and how are they changing?

The sessions will be a dialogue with the audience and ample time will be
devoted to discussion with the audience. Those attending the forum will have
an
opportunity to gain valuable insight to the complex issues surrounding clean

water. The presentations will be produced for use in the classroom, civic
groups, and governmental agencies.

Registration is $40 and includes all sessions, luncheon, and a reception to
follow.  Full program information is available on the web at:
www.uwm.edu/MilwaukeeIdea/events/index.html with registration information.
limited number of scholarships will be available.  Pre-registration is
required. To register by phone call 1-800-222-3623 or on-line at:
www.uwm.edu/UniversityOutreach/registration/onlineform.shtml. Reference
program
number 7800-8888. For further information on the program or scholarships,
contact Fran Luebke by email at waterforum@uwm.edu.