[Date Prev][Date Next][Date Index]

GLIN==> Stone Laboratory Receives Award



FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

October 29, 2002

Contact:

Dr. Jeffrey Reutter, Director
Ohio Sea Grant and Stone Laboratory
614-292-8949
reutter.1@osu.edu


STONE LABORATORY AWARDED ENHANCEMENT GRANT

Columbus, OH-- F.T. Stone Laboratory, The Ohio State University’s Island Campus, recently received a grant of $348,000 from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Senator Mike DeWine (R-OH) helped obtain this grant that will enhance the equipment and facilities used by students and researchers at Stone Laboratory.

“We really owe a debt of gratitude to Senator DeWine. This award will greatly enhance our research, education, and outreach programs and impact thousands of students and scientists studying at the Laboratory each year,” said Dr. Jeffrey Reutter, Laboratory Director. “With so many changes occurring in Lake Erie, this is a perfect time to enhance our research capabilities,” he added.

The grant will be used to enhance the Laboratory’s research, education, and outreach programs by purchasing new microscopes, computers, and radar units for the Laboratory’s research vessels the BioLab and Gibraltar III, and supporting the construction of an educational kiosk on South Bass Island near the Laboratory. The award will also fund major renovations to the first floor of the Research Building.

Stone Laboratory is located on Gibraltar Island in Put-in-Bay harbor, Lake Erie. Established in 1895, it is the oldest freshwater biological field station in the U.S. Each summer, the Laboratory offers college courses for credit in the biological sciences and natural resources. Programs for students in grades 4-12 are offered during the school year. The Laboratory is also a year-round research facility. To learn more about Stone Laboratory programs, visit www.sg.ohio-state.edu.

###