GLIN==> CRWC receives national "Eddy" award for website

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - October 31, 2002

Contact: Jessica Pitelka Opfer, Executive Director
248-853-9580, jessica@crwc.org

CRWC Receives National "Eddy" Award for Website

SEATTLE, WA– The Clinton River Watershed Council (CRWC) is one of just six
grassroots citizen groups across the United States recognized for
successfully using the Internet to protect and restore their local rivers.
CRWC received the “Eddy” Award from American Rivers, a national non-profit
conservation organization dedicated to protecting and restoring healthy
natural rivers and the variety of life they sustain for people, fish, and
wildlife.

CRWC received Honorable Mention for its website (www.crwc.org), which was
totally redesigned in 2000 and is developed and maintained completely
in-house by CRWC staff. “We are honored and immensely pleased that our
website was chosen for this recognition,” said Jessica Pitelka Opfer, CRWC
Executive Director. “Our website is a critical component of our outreach and
education efforts, and provides us with a direct link to the individuals,
organizations, local governments, and businesses that we work with every
day.”

American Rivers reviewed over 50 nominations for the “Eddy” Award. A panel
of judges with experience in conservation and the Internet rated the
nominees for their content, advocacy/action opportunities, navigation,
functionality, and design. “The Internet has become a critical tool in the
fight to save America’s rivers,” said Rebecca Wodder, president of American
Rivers. “I commend the winners on their outstanding websites and their
information, inspiration and opportunities for action for the sake of
rivers. This is the kind of creativity we need as a movement, to share ways
of rescuing our rivers from pollution and unwise development, and restore
the people, native fish and wildlife that bring our rivers to life.”

The Eddy awards were conceived by American Rivers as a way to link
outstanding river websites with potential sponsors that could provide
additional resources to get the job done. The contest judges were Martin
Kearns, executive director of GreenMediaToolshed.org; Suzy Friedman,
agriculture policy analyst and online organizer for Environmental Defense;
Rachel Saunders, partner programs manager for Care2.com; Kara Heermans,
website graphic designer for BANKFIRST Corp. and American Rivers Online; and
Matt Sicchio, outreach director for American Rivers.

The winners received prize packages from Dell Computer, EcoISP, SealLine,
Bates Accessories, GreenMediaToolshed, Northwest River Supplies, Outdoor
Research, Hi-Tec, Chums, Croakies, and Wyoming Wear.  For more about the
winning websites, visit www.amrivers.org/feature/eddywinners.htm.

The Clinton River watershed covers 760 square miles in four counties
(Macomb, Oakland, Lapeer, and St. Clair). Over 1.4 million people live in
the 60 communities through which the Clinton River flows before reaching
Lake St. Clair. CRWC is a non-profit organization that protects, enhances,
and celebrates the Clinton River, its watershed, and Lake St. Clair.

###