Lake Erie Center, University of Toledo

Date:  Thursday  November 21

Time:  10:30 a.m.

Where:
GLERL Main Conference Room
2205 Commonwealth Blvd.
Ann Arbor, MI  48105
For directions:
      http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/facil/triptik.html

Abstract:
The Lake Erie Center was established in 1998 as a multidisciplinary center
dedicated to exploring the linkages between land use and water quality in
the western catchment of Lake Erie.  In 2002, a two-part program was
established to help fulfill this mission:
I.  To monitor the water quality of Maumee Bay and the southwest portion of
the Western Basin.  II. To establish an interactive database of historic
and current data on the Maumee River catchment, Maumee Bay, and western
Lake Erie.   This seminar will provide an introduction to the Lake Erie
Center, including research facilities available to collaborating
scientists.  We will also present the preliminary results of monitoring
efforts in 2002 with conclusions that may have relevance for the “dead
zone” phenomenon in Lake Erie.  Finally, we will present a prototype of the
environmental database.

Contact: Dr. Tom Johengen
Director, Cooperative Institute for Limnology & Ecosystems Research
Phone    734-741-2203
E-mail:   Johengen@umich.edu