GLIN==> Latest Seiche Newsletter is Online

The latest issue of the Minnesota Sea Grant's "Seiche" newsletter is
available at
http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/seiche/dec.02/index.html

Articles include:

Lake Superior's Deep-Water Donut Mystery
http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/seiche/dec.02/art01.html

Huge rings lie in the deepest regions on the floor of Lake Superior.
Scientists at the University of Minnesota and in the United Kingdom are
looking into how they were formed.

Siscowet Trout: A Plague of Riches
http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/seiche/dec.02/art02.html

Despite Lake Superior's chilly temperatures and relatively low
productivity, it has a lot of fat fish!  Fisheries professor Jim
Kitchell discusses the impacts siscowet trout have on Lake Superior's
food web dynamics.

More Minnesotans Catch "Potomac Fever" Through Prestigious Knauss
Fellowship
http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/seiche/dec.02/art03.html

The National Sea Grant College Program has lured yet another University
of Minnesota graduate to Washington, D.C. with the offer of a
prestigious Dean John A. Knauss Marine Policy Fellowship.  Barbara
Peichel will leave in February to work in the office of Senator Akaka
of Hawaii.

Voyage of the Mary Sears
http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/seiche/dec.02/art04.html

Staff member Bruce Munson shares his experiences aboard a naval vessel
as part of a program designed to enhance marine science teaching.

One Million Exotics ID Cards Available!
http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/seiche/dec.02/art09.html

We recently completed a print run of 1.1 million aquatic nuisance
species "watch" identification cards that are being distributed in the
U.S. and Canada to help in the fight against the spread of two species:
Eurasian watermilfoil and purple loosestrife.

Updated Publications List Available
http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/seiche/dec.02/art10.html

Our publications brochure, which lists over 50 products we offer to
provide information about aquatic issues and Lake Superior, has been
updated and is available for free.

Glossary of the Great Lakes
http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/seiche/dec.02/art11.html

We've reduced the price on this glossary, which is a quick and easy
reference designed especially for the public and agency people to help
sort out the different agencies and interpret the various acronyms at
work in the Great Lakes.  Cost is $2.50.  The definiations are also
available online at
http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/pubs/ggl/index.html
for free!

..plus information on other staff activities and new products/services.
If you'd like to be on the mailing list to receive a hard copy of this
publication, please send me your name and street address.  Or, if you'd
like to receive a personal e-mail notification when the Seiche is
available on the web, please send me your e-mail address.  Subscription
is FREE.

Marie Zhuikov (pronounced zwee-cough)
Communications Coordinator
MN Sea Grant, University of MN - Duluth
mzhuikov@umn.edu
(218) 726-7677   Fax: (218) 726-6556
www.seagrant.umn.edu

Conjunctivitis: Losing the ability to say the words And, But and Or.