GLIN==> USEPA GLNPO Funding Guidance / Request for Proposals. Due 8 AM,March 31, 2003.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Great Lakes National Program
Office (GLNPO) is requesting Proposals for up to $4,827,000 for projects
furthering protection and clean up of the Great Lakes ecosystem.
http://www.epa.gov/glnpo/fund/2003guid/

Proposals are requested through the "FY2003-2004 USEPA Great Lakes
National Program Office Funding Guidance - Four Requests for
Proposals."  This Funding Guidance is different from Funding Guidances
issued by GLNPO during the last 10 years.  It consolidates the annual
USEPA GLNPO competitive solicitation (the "General Request") with funds
previously managed by USEPA Water programs in Regions 2 and 5 for
projects for development and implementation of Lakewide Management Plans
and Remedial Action Plans (the "Specific LaMP/RAP Request").   Also
included in this Funding Guidance are new solicitations for Conferences
and Publications and for a Grants Servicing Intermediary.

The initial deadline for all Proposals is 8:00 AM  Central time, Monday
morning, March 31, 2003, with a separate rolling deadline for specified
conferences and publications.

The Funding Guidance contains these Requests for Proposals:
RFP 1: GENERAL REQUEST - $2,720,000
- Contaminated Sediments
- Pollution Prevention and Reduction (Great Lakes Binational Toxics
Strategy)
- Habitat (Ecological) Protection and Restoration
- Invasive Species
- Strategic or Emerging Issues

RFP 2: SPECIFIC LaMP/RAP REQUESTS - $1,752,000
29 descriptions of specific projects furthering the Lakewide Management
Plans and Remedial Action Plans, such as monitoring, outreach, training,
assessment, and coordination.

RFP 3: CONFERENCES AND PUBLICATIONS - $275,000
Requests in three general areas will be reviewed by GLNPO on a monthly
basis throughout the year and as long as money is available; however,
Proposals for a State of Lake Michigan Basin Conference and for
Basin-wide RAP Priorities are due on March 31, 2003.

RFP 4: GRANTS SERVICING INTERMEDIARY - $60,000 to $100,000
An "intermediary" organization would make and administer grant
sub-awards for habitat and possibly other areas.  Applicants for RFP 4
should contact GLNPO to request an application package and should not
make an electronic submission.

Assistance (through grants,cooperative agreements, and interagency
agreements) is available pursuant to Clean Water Act 104(b)(3) for
activities in the Great Lakes Basin and in support of the Great Lakes
Water Quality Agreement.  State pollution control agencies, interstate
agencies, other public or nonprofit private agencies, institutions, and
organizations are eligible to apply.

We request that Proposals for RFP 1, RFP 2, and RFP 3 be developed using
our electronic Proposal Submission System (PSS2003). The Funding
Guidance and the PSS2003 program are available on the Internet from
http://www.epa.gov/glnpo/fund/2003guid/    For general questions, please
contact Michael Russ.

Michael Russ
USEPA-Great Lakes National Program Office
Program Planning and Budget Team Leader
77 West Jackson Blvd. (G-17J)
Chicago, IL 60604-3590
russ.michael@epa.gov
phone 312-886-4013
fax 312-353-2018
www.epa.gov/glnpo/

The following RFP excerpts provide an idea of the projects requested and
criteria being used this year.  Please refer to the Funding Guidance for
full descriptions.

GENERAL REQUEST
A. Contaminated Sediments - $900,000 targeted for 8 to 12 projects.
USEPA's Great Lakes National Program Office requests Proposals for
funding, technical support, and vessel support to assist contaminated
sediment work in priority geographic areas in the Great Lakes.  GLNPO's
emphasis and ultimate objective is to assist in bringing about
remediation of contaminated sediments at these sites.

We are particularly interested in the following projects:
> sediment assessments [chemical (including GLBTS priority pollutants),
physical, biological] to better map contamination at a site.
> sediment assessments to support the development of remedial
alternatives pursuant to the Great Lakes Legacy Act.
> conduct evaluations of remedial alternatives for sites moving toward
remediation pursuant to the Great Lakes Legacy Act.
> data collection to support a review of the short-term and long-term
effects of remedial alternatives on human health and the environment
> beneficial re-use of sediments, including associated human and
ecological risk.
> monitoring/assessment projects focusing on post-remedial
investigations.
> on the ground sediment remediation.
> demonstrations of innovative sediment treatment technologies and
innovative sediment assessment techniques

B. Pollution Prevention and Reduction (Binational Toxics Strategy) -
$500,000 targeted for 8-15 projects.  GLNPO requests Proposals for
pollution prevention, reduction or elimination projects, with an
emphasis on substances which are persistent and toxic, especially those
which bioaccumulate, in the Great Lakes basin.  Priority will be given
to those projects that support the goals of the US-Canada Great Lakes
Binational Toxics Strategy (GLBTS).

We are particularly interested in the following projects:
> Source characterization: Assessment of potential sources of persistent
bioaccumulative toxic substances.
> Indicators of progress toward virtual elimination of persistent
bioaccumulative toxic substances.
> Proper disposal of persistent bioaccumulative toxic substances.
> Foster adoption of innovative products that would reduce the use and
release of persistent bioaccumulative toxic substances and that are
consistent with the principles of EPA's Environmentally-Preferable
Purchasing Program.
> Implementation of projects/actions delivering toxic
reductions/pollution prevention in sectors targeted by the GLBTS.
Expected environmental outcomes must be quantified.
> Foster adoption of green technologies.  In this context, green
technology  involves reducing or eliminating the use or generation of
persistent bioaccumulative toxic substances - including feedstocks,
reagents, solvents, products and byproducts-during design, manufacture
and use of chemical products and processes.
> Outreach to achieve source reductions from targeted sectors or groups,
e.g., designing a campaign for educating the XX industry on ways to
reduce usage and releases of YY chemical.

C. Habitat (Ecological) Protection and Restoration - $760,000 targeted
for 8 to 15 projects. USEPA's Great Lakes National Program Office
requests Proposals for projects that demonstrate practices and tools for
protecting and restoring aquatic, terrestrial, and wetland ecosystems.
Applicants should note that acquisition projects will not be considered.

Basinwide Proposals having large-scale ecological implications for the
Great Lakes ecosystem, and multi-organizational, binational partnerships
are encouraged. Regional Proposals must be consistent with Lakewide
Management Plan priorities, with Tribal priorities, or with regional
ecological protection and restoration planning effort priorities.  Local
or site-specific Proposals must implement techniques that demonstrate
protection and restoration measures or the need for standard protection
and restoration techniques, and define expected outcomes.

D. Invasive Species - $300,000 targeted for 4 to 8 projects.  GLNPO
requests Proposals to address invasive (non-indigenous) aquatic and
terrestrial species in the Great Lakes Basin with an emphasis on
prevention.

We are particularly interested in the following projects, with the
highest priority given to the first three topic areas:
1. Development and demonstration of strong and innovative programs to
prevent the introduction of new invasive species (aquatic or
terrestrial) into the Great Lakes Basin.
2. Development and demonstration of strong and innovative programs to
control the spread of invasive species within and from the Great Lakes
Basin.
3. Documenting ecological impacts of invasive species on the Great Lakes
Basin food web.
4. Documenting the economic impacts or potential economic impacts of
invasive species already in the Great Lakes Basin.
5. Projects which identify chemical, physical, and biological conditions
that promote the establishment of invasive species.
6. Development of innovative education/outreach projects.

E. Strategic or Emerging Issues - $260,000 targeted for 4 to 8 projects.
In order to better fulfill its mission under the Great Lakes Water
Quality Agreement for the restoration and maintenance of the chemical,
physical, and biological integrity of the Great Lakes Basin Ecosystem,
GLNPO is requesting Proposals for four to eight innovative Great Lakes
environmental projects which deal with strategic or emerging issues of
basin-wide  importance. We especially encourage projects which identify
and propose solutions/mitigation for strategic or emerging issues of
Great Lakes Basin-wide applicability.  Areas of particular interest
include:
> Chemicals of potential environmental concern such as polybrominated
flame retardants, pharmaceuticals, and endocrine disruptors.
> Causes and effects of observed changes in components of the Great
Lakes ecosystem (for example, nutrient loads; changes in lower food web
assemblages, including Mysis, Diporeia, benthos and plankton; and
effects of these change on the lake fisheries).
> Linkages between changing conditions in the Great Lakes ecosystem and
human health.
> Social and economic issues affecting Great Lakes management and
environmental decision-making.
> Harnessing the innovation of market forces in environmental protection
via air or water emissions trading.

2. SPECIFIC LaMP/RAP REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
A. Grants, Cooperative Agreements, and Interagency Agreements
 i. Lake Erie
   a. LaMP Outreach
   b. Human Health
   c. Technical Transfer
   d. Land-use Assessment
   e. Coastal Community BMP

ii. Lake Huron: Binational Partnership/RAP Development and
Implementation

iii. Lake  Michigan
   a. LaMP Implementation
   b. Watershed Training and Implementation
   c. Environmental Education Boat Tour
   d. RAP/Tributary Monitoring

iv. Lake Ontario
   a. Habitat Prioritization
   b. RAP Coordination/Management
   c. Contaminant Source Trackdown
   d. Tributary Load Monitoring
   e. Atmospheric Mercury Deposition

v. Lake Superior
   a. LaMP Implementation
   b. RAP Habitat Recommendations
   c. Community Awareness
   d. Energy Conservation

B. Cooperative LaMP/RAP Partnerships with States, Tribes, and Interstate
or Intertribal Organizations
i. Lake Erie
   a. LaMP Development - Aquatic System
   b. LaMP Development - Detroit River
   c. LaMP Development - Ohio AOCs
   d. LaMP Development - General

ii. Lake Michigan
   a. State LaMP/RAP Development and Implementation
   b. Implement LaMP Human Health, Habitat, and Toxics Reduction
   c. Tribal LaMP Development and Implementation
   d. LaMP Implementation through LMMCC

iii. Lake Superior
   a. State LaMP/RAP Implementation
   b. Tribal LaMP/RAP Implementation

3. REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS FOR CONFERENCES AND PRINTING
A. Ecological (habitat) conferences, workshops, and meetings.
B. Printing of ecological (habitat) educational environmental materials.
C. General conference, workshop, meeting, and printing under GLWQA.
D. State of Lake Michigan Basin Conference.
E. Basin-wide RAP Priorities

4. REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL FOR GRANTS SERVICING INTERMEDIARY