Speaker:  Dr. Stuart A. Ludsin, NOAA/GLERL, Ann Arbor, Michigan

Date:  Thursday, May 8, 2003

Time:  10:00 a.m.  (<=  NOTE TIME CHANGE)

Where:
GLERL Main Conference Room
2205 Commonwealth Blvd.
Ann Arbor, MI  48105
For directions:
     http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/facil/triptik.html

Abstract:
Owing to the combined effects of phosphorus abatement programs and Dreissenid introductions, Lake Erie has experienced dramatic changes in its physical (e.g., enhanced water clarity, reduced bottom anoxia in the west basin) and biological (e.g., reduced phytoplankton and zooplankton biomass; recovery of benthic mayflies) attributes. The effect of these changes on Lake Erie's fish communities, however, remains largely unknown. Herein, I use long-term (1969-2001) data on fish abundance and growth from Lake Erie's west and central basins, in combination with historical water chemistry and weather data, to explore the potential effects of reduced system productivity on fish population and community dynamics. Specifically, I discuss gross trends in the fish community structure (e.g., species richness and composition) in relation to phosphorus availability, and the implications of these changes for important fisheries (e.g., walleye Stizostedion vitreum). I also demonstrate how reduced phosphorus availability seemingly has altered yellow perch (Perca flavescens) recruitment mechanisms, causing a switch from dependence on temperature (1969-1986) to a dependence on stochastic inputs of phosphorus from the watershed in recent years. Ultimately, I discuss what these changes likely mean for both Lake Erie user groups and resource management agencies.

For more information, contact:
    David Reid
    734-741-201
    David.Reid@noaa.gov