GLIN==> SEMINAR - June 19 (Ann Arbor)

Title:
NOAA GREAT LAKES SEMINAR SERIES
http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/news/seminars/

Date:
Monday, June 2, 2003

Title:
"Observed Climate Variability and Change: Data Issues and Results"

Speaker:
Dr. David R. Easterling
NOAA, National Climatic Data Center, Asheville, North Carolina

Time:
2:30 p.m.

Where:
GLERL Main Conference Room
2205 Commonwealth Blvd.
Ann Arbor, MI 48105
For directions:
http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/facil/triptik.html

Abstract:
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Third Assessment Report (TAR) states that the global climate has warmed approximately 0.6C over the past 100 years and there has been an increase in global precipitation of about 1% per decade. These changes in climate are examined in the context of data sets and research into observed climate change produced at the National Climatic Data Center (NCDC). Furthermore, variations and trends in extreme climate events have only recently received much attention. Exponentially increasing economic losses, coupled with an increase in deaths due to these events, have focused attention on the possibility that these events are increasing in frequency. One of the major problems in examining the climate record for changes in extremes is a lack of high quality long-term data. In this talk we examine a number of data sets data sets produced at the National Climatic Data Center which include the Global Historical Climatology Network, Global Daily Climatology Network (GDCN) data set, blended ocean/land air temperature data and recently digitized daily data for the USA from the first half of the 20th Century. We also examine results from research using these and other data to examine variability and trends in climate mean quantities and climate extremes. These include changes in temperature extremes, such as frost days, and changes in days above and below various percentile thresholds. We also examine results from analyses examining the relationship between observed increases in heavy precipitation and streamflow in the USA. Selected results include an observed decrease in frost days (days with the minimum temperature below 0C), and lengthening of the frost-free season in most parts of the USA.

For more information, contact:
Dr. Brent Lofgren (NOAA/GLERL)
brent.lofgren@noaa.gov
734-741-2383

- - - - - - - - - -

Posted by:

David F. Reid, Ph.D.
U.S. Department of Commerce
Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory
2205 Commonwealth Blvd.
Ann Arbor, MI 48105-2945
Voice: 734-741-2019
FAX: 743-741-2055