GLIN==> State of the Great Lakes Briefing

BRIEFING:  STATE OF THE GREAT LAKES

2003 -- AN OVERVIEW OF ECOSYSTEM HEALTH

Can we eat the fish?  Can we drink the water?  Can we swim in the lakes?  The Northeast-Midwest Institute and Great Lakes Task Force are hosting a briefing entitled State of the Great Lakes 2003: An Overview of Ecosystem Health on Tuesday July 8.  Speakers will present a “big picture” snapshot of the current health of the Great Lakes ecosystem.  Paul Horvatin will present highlights from the State of the Lakes Ecosystem Conference (SOLEC), a process to assess the chemical, physical, and biological health of the Great Lakes.  John Andersen will explain the Great Lakes Ecoregional Plan designed to prioritize and guide the conservation of biological diversity, or species richness.  Paul Horvatin is Chief of the Monitoring Indicators & Reporting Branch of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Great Lakes National Program Office in Chicago, and John A. Andersen, Jr., is Director of the Nature Conservancy’s Great Lakes Program also in Chicago.

The July 8 briefing will run from 11:00 a.m. to noon.  The room location will be announced in a few days.  Refreshments will be served.

Contact:  Karen Vigmostad of the Northeast-Midwest Institute (202/464-4016) or Joy Mulinex at the Great Lakes Task Force (202/224-1211).