GLIN==> Seaway Corporations Lead Great Lakes Trade Mission to Belgium and the Netherlands

Seaway Corporations Lead Great Lakes Trade Mission to Belgium and the
Netherlands
http://www.greatlakes-seaway.com/en/news/pr20031002.html
(Cornwall, October 2, 2003) - The Saint Lawrence Seaway Development
Corporation (SLSDC) and the Canadian St. Lawrence Seaway Management
Corporation (SLSMC) are leading a 23-member delegation of U.S. and Canadian
Great Lakes executives to Belgium and the Netherlands for the Seaway's 26th
trade mission from Oct. 3 - 11. The delegates will promote the Great Lakes
St. Lawrence Seaway System as a safe, reliable and competitive route for
exporting and importing goods.

Programs and meetings during the week-long mission will provide
opportunities for delegates to make contacts with European maritime industry
leaders and decision-makers. The delegation represents a cross section of
the maritime industry: port and terminal operators, shipowners and
operators, shipping agents and labor.

"Trade missions serve a key role in promoting the entire Great Lakes St.
Lawrence Seaway System," said SLSDC Administrator Albert Jacquez. "Marketing
our System's competitive advantages demands that we reach out,
person-to-person, to new and existing customers, educating and updating them
on what we have to offer: expertise, technology, customer-focus, and safe,
efficient, reliable service."

Canadian counterpart, President and CEO Richard "Dick" Corfe, noted the
importance of European markets to the Great Lakes St. Lawrence Seaway
System. "We recognize that the ports of Rotterdam and Antwerp remain one of
our best opportunities to grow our business," said Corfe. "In addition to
promoting our system's competitive advantages, we are also keen on observing
and adapting for our own use the best practices applied in European ports."

Delegates arrive in Brussels and travel to the Ports of Ghent, Zeebrugge,
and Antwerp in Belgium; the latter port is one of the largest container
ports in Europe. After receiving country briefings they begin a series of
meetings with shippers, government officials and marine professionals. An
integral part of the trade mission is learning as well as teaching. After
touring ports and terminals to get an up close look at existing
infrastructure and discussing planned upgrades, the delegates will conduct
an education and information seminar about the Seaway for local maritime
officials.

The delegation will spend two days in the Netherlands, splitting its time
between the ports of Amsterdam and Rotterdam. In addition to meeting with
steel experts and seeking new customers, the Seaway delegates are interested
in hearing details on short sea shipping operations that could be adopted in
the Great Lakes St. Lawrence Seaway System.

Since 1985, Seaway trade missions have visited 29 countries, oftentimes
traveling to European ports and cities, which comprise the major overseas
export-import trade partner for the Great Lakes St. Lawrence Seaway system.
This latest mission, scheduled October 3-11, marks the fifth trade mission
to Rotterdam, the fourth to Antwerp and second to Amsterdam.

Seaway trade missions have helped attract new business in the Great Lakes
St. Lawrence Seaway system from Europe in cruising, project cargoes, and
forestry products. The cruising industry, largely absent from the System for
decades, has recently been growing steadily with the addition of vessels
such as the French luxury yacht Le Levant and the German cruise vessel C.
Columbus. Reaching out to Dutch shipper Wagenborg resulted in that company
designing more than a dozen ships capable of transiting the Seaway and
subsequently used in moving oversized project cargoes such as oil drilling
equipment to Canada's Athabasca Oil Sands Project fields in northern
Alberta. Lumber shipments from Germany to the Lakehead in Duluth have opened
a niche market officials there are optimistic will grow.