GLIN==> Governor Will Propose New Water Laws in 2004

Posted on behalf of Sara Jackson <sjackson@nwf.org>

---

Governor Will Propose New Water Laws in 2004

Media Advisory

December 16, 2003

For Immediate Release

Contact: Andy Buchsbaum, (734) 769-3351

Governor Granholm To Propose Comprehensive State Laws

To Govern Water Withdrawals

The National Wildlife Federation praised Governor Jennifer Granholm's
announcement  today that she plans early next year to propose comprehensive
new laws to protect Michigan waters from unwise water withdrawals.

"Governor Granholm has been a leader in the Midwest in negotiating with
other governors to protect the Great Lakes from water diversions and unwise
water use," said Andy Buchsbaum, director of the Great Lakes office of the
National Wildlife Federation. "Now the governor is demonstrating that same
leadership at the state level, where our water laws are weak. We look
forward to working with her to strengthen Michigan's protections of our
lakes, streams, and groundwater."

Although Michigan earlier this year enacted bipartisan legislation to
resolve groundwater disputes and monitor groundwater use, the new laws did
not set any standards to protect lakes and streams from the withdrawal and
use of groundwater or surface water, a gap the Governor's proposal could
fill.

Michigan's passage of comprehensive new water laws would also be an
important step in protecting the Great Lakes under Annex 2001. Annex 2001,
an amendment to the Great Lakes Charter, is a signed agreement among all of
the Great Lakes governors and Canadian premiers to develop a common set of
laws that will protect the Great Lakes, their tributaries, and their
groundwater from diversions and unwise water use.

"Michigan's passage of new, protective water withdrawal laws would send the
signal to the other states that we're serious about protecting the Great
Lakes," Buchsbaum said. "It would raise the bar for the other states; they'd
feel pressure to come up to Michigan's level of protection."

- 30 -