GLIN==> Secretary Norton Announces $61 Million in USFWS Grants to States to SupportWildlife and Habitats

Richard Greenwood
    USFWS Liaison to USEPA Great Lakes National Program Office
    Team Leader Great Lakes Basin Ecosystem Team
Great Lakes National Program Office
77 West Jackson Blvd. (G-17J)
Chicago, IL 60604
Ph:  312-886-3853  Fax:  312-353-2018
Email:  rich_greenwood@fws.gov or greenwood.richard@epa.gov
http://greatlakes.fws.gov/

Nicholas Throckmorton, 202-208-5634

             Secretary Norton Announces $61 Million in Grants
                to States to Support Wildlife and Habitats

Interior Secretary Gale Norton announced today that the U.S. Fish and
Wildlife Service will award $61.2 million in wildlife grants to state and
territorial wildlife agencies.

The State Wildlife Grant program is designed to assist states in the
development and implementation of programs that benefit wildlife, including
species not fished or hunted, and their habitats.  The funds are made
available through annual appropriations.

"The grant program demonstrates our commitment to conservation partnerships
with state wildlife agencies," said Interior Secretary Gale Norton. "This
program exemplifies our cooperative conservation approach by helping states
to tailor their conservation efforts in a manner that best fits local
conditions."

To be eligible for State Wildlife Grant funds, each state must complete a
Comprehensive Wildlife Conservation Plan or Strategy by October 1, 2005.
States may use the funds for project planning or implementation activities.
A state may receive no more than 5 percent or less than 1 percent of the
available funds.  The District of Columbia and the Commonwealth of Puerto
Rico receive .5 percent and Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands,
and the Commonwealth of the Northern Marina Islands receive .25 percent.
The apportionment is based on a formula that uses the state's land area and
population.

"Because so many issues related to wildlife conservation are not contained
by borders, states and the Service must work together to coordinate efforts
to conserve endangered and threatened species, manage migrating birds and
ensure that the foundations for wildlife management are good science and
habitat," said Service Director Steve Williams.  "These grants continue to
allow us to build a future for conservation together."

      An example of ongoing State Wildlife Grant projects include the
      following:

Bat Protection in Pennsylvania
The Pennsylvania Game Commission is using federal money to protect more
than 30,000 bats of six species at two mines in Pennsylvania.  The state
will install special gates at the entrances to these bat caves ? called
hibernacula or winter homes - to prevent disturbance and vandalism during
periods when these species are highly vulnerable.

A complete list of grants by state follows. For additional information,
please visit the Service's web site at <http://www.fws.gov>.
|                   State Wildlife Grants Apportionment                   |
|                                 FY 2004                                 |
|          Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance Number 15.634           |
|State      Amount                                                        |
|Alabama   950,854                                                        |
|Alaska   3,060,095                                                       |
|American Samoa   153,004                                                 |
|Arizona   1,449,489                                                      |
|Arkansas   714,925                                                       |
|California   3,060,095                                                   |
|Colorado   1,270,452                                                     |
|Connecticut   612,020                                                    |
|Delaware   612,020                                                       |
|District of Columbia   306,009                                           |
|Florida   2,592,298                                                      |
|Georgia   1,515,288                                                      |
|Guam   153,004                                                           |
|Hawaii   612,020                                                         |
|Idaho   721,085                                                          |
|Illinois   2,084,443                                                     |
|Indiana   1,076,313                                                      |
|Iowa   769,994                                                           |
|Kansas   905,720                                                         |
|Kentucky   821,523                                                       |
|Louisiana   928,044                                                      |
|Maine   612,020                                                          |
|Maryland   800,932                                                       |
|Massachusetts   932,424                                                  |
|Michigan   1,754,509                                                     |
|Minnesota   1,228,258                                                    |
|Mississippi   703,052                                                    |
|Missouri   1,226,536                                                     |
|Montana   1,078,493                                                      |
|N. Mariana Islands   153,004                                             |
|Nebraska   738,529                                                       |
|Nevada   993,612                                                         |
|New Hampshire   612,020                                                  |
|New Jersey   1,215,376                                                   |
|New Mexico   1,040,333                                                   |
|New York   2,945,190                                                     |
|North Carolina   1,455,766                                               |
|North Dakota   612,020                                                   |
|Ohio   1,839,503                                                         |
|Oklahoma   930,946                                                       |
|Oregon   1,102,960                                                       |
|Pennsylvania   1,993,755                                                 |
|Puerto Rico   306,009                                                    |
|Rhode Island   612,020                                                   |
|South Carolina   757,142                                                 |
|South Dakota   612,020                                                   |
|Tennessee   1,060,816                                                    |
|Texas   3,060,095                                                        |
|Utah   859,703                                                           |
|Vermont   612,020                                                        |
|Virgin Islands   153,004                                                 |
|Virginia   1,243,105                                                     |
|Washington   1,257,489                                                   |
|West Virginia   612,020                                                  |
|Wisconsin   1,106,520                                                    |
|Wyoming   612,020                                                        |
|    61,201,916                                                           |

                                   -DOI-

News releases are also available on the World Wide Web at
http://news.fws.gov

Questions concerning a particular news release or item of
information should be directed to the person listed as the
contact. General comments or observations concerning the
content of the information should be directed to Mitch Snow
(Mitch_Snow@fws.gov) in the Office of Public Affairs.