GLIN==> 2004 "Actions Toward a Sustainable Great Lakes" Conference and GreatLakes Commission Semiannual Meeting

http://www.glc.org/meeting/

Note: a special registration discount applies to all who attend both events!

Dear Great Lakes Colleague:

It is our pleasure, on behalf of more than two dozen partner agencies
and organizations, to invite you to the second Great Lakes
Sustainability Conference titled, "Actions Toward a Sustainable Great
Lakes." Set for May 5-6 at the Sheraton Cleveland City Centre hotel,
this event builds upon a highly successful conference conducted last
summer at Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan.

Our objective is to bring the diversity of regional interests together
to explore and pursue the notion of "sustainability" and its
environmental and economic dimensions. Last year, we focused on unmet
needs, built partnerships among these diverse interests, and identified
areas of shared concern. This year, our focus is on action: on what is,
and will be done to address those needs. Toward that end, we are
organizing plenary and breakout sessions around a series of overriding
sustainability, restoration and protection themes that have emerged from
the region over the past year. These include:

* water use and management
* water quality
* toxic hotspots
* aquatic invasive species
* human health
* habitat/wetlands
* sustainable waterways (commercial and recreational navigation)

We have a great lineup of outstanding speakers, but the emphasis will be
on dialogue with participants. Moving the notion of "sustainability"
from concept to application is not a spectator sport! The conference
will yield ideas, and commitments to action, that will influence the
continued development and implementation of Great Lakes sustainability
priorities and, in so doing, recognize the interrelationships between
the environmental and socio-economic needs of this binational region.

Complementing the plenary and breakout sessions will be opportunities
for networking in a very enjoyable setting, including a reception and
dinner at Cleveland's Great Lakes Science Center, a great facility on a
Great Lake!

We are pleased to note that the Great Lakes Commission will hold its
2004 Semiannual Meeting in conjunction with the conference. Set for May
4 (with an opening reception the evening of May 3), the conference
features a theme of "Restoring the Greatness of Our Freshwater Seas!"
The meeting will include policy presentations and actions on the leading
issues of our day, and a special focus is planned on the upcoming report
of the U.S. Commission on Ocean Policy and its implications for the
Great Lakes. Policymakers and opinion leaders from throughout the
binational Great Lakes-St. Lawrence region will gather at this event and
are encouraged to stay for the sustainability conference immediately
following.

Please register now online at http://www.glc.org/meeting/ or by
completing and returning the attached form. The registration deadline of
April 16 also applies to the conference hotel (Sheraton Cleveland City
Centre, 1-800-321-1090) where a special rate of $86 (US) plus tax has
been negotiated.

Preliminary programs are available online. Follow-up correspondence
later this month will include additional details. Agencies and
organizations that wish to be listed as a sponsor (no financial
contribution required) are invited to contact us at their earliest
convenience.

We look forward to seeing you in Cleveland!

Lt. Col. Jeffrey M. Hall
Commander, Buffalo District
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers

Michael J. Donahue, Ph.D.