GLIN==> great lakes united annual meeting, june 4-6

Come to Great Lakes United's annual meeting near Erie, Pennsylvania. See the agenda below. Connect to www.glu.org for more information.

Great Lakes United's 22nd Annual General Meeting

"From Experience to Action: Lake Erie Dead Zone -- Our Line in the Sand"

June 4-6, Mercyhurst College
North East, Pennsylvania

AGENDA

Friday, June 4

Pre-meeting events begin

BINATIONAL ISSUES BRIEFINGS, presented by coalition members and friends

9:00 am  Aquatic Invasive Species campaign

* Joel Brammeier -- Lake Michigan Federation
* Francine MacDonald -- Ontario Federation of Anglers & Hunters

10:00 am  Great Lakes Restoration Strategy

* Tom Fuhrman -- Lake Erie Region Conservancy
* Anne Wordsworth -- Canadian Environmental Law Association

11:00 am  Navigation System review

* Stephanie Weiss -- Save the River
* Marc Hudon -- Union Québécoise pour la Conservation de la Nature
* Jeremy Gawen -- Georgian Bay Association

12:00 am  U.S. Army Corps Reform campaign

* Tim Eder -- National Wildlife Federation

12:30 pm  Lunch and Silent Auction opens (cafeteria)

2:00 pm  Field trips: Bay front tour, 20 Mile Creek tour, Fishing Charter, Winery tour

5:00 pm  Dinner on your own

7:00 pm  Reception  (cash bar)

* Welcome: Tom Fuhrman -- Lake Erie Region Conservancy
* Percussion Blast!  Interactive entertainment

Saturday, June 5

Meeting events begin

8:00 am  Registration & mapping

8:45 am  Opening
* Stewardship Committee -- Benedictine Sisters

8:50 am  Welcome

* Patty O'Donnell -- President
* Local dignitaries

9:15 am  ERIE INDICATION: Warning Signs from Our Canary of the System

* Botulism: Jeff Robinson -- Canadian Wildlife Service
* Dead Zone: Dr. Hunter Carrick -- Pennsylvania State University
* Climate Change: Dr. Leanne Jablonski -- Union of Concerned Scientists

10:15 am  Break

10:30 am  Basin wide mapping cause and effect exercise

* Loretta Michaud -- Workers Health & Safety Center

11:00 am  KEYNOTE SPEAKER

* Dr. Mary O'Brien -- What Other Course is Open: Precautionary Principle in Action

12:00 pm  Lunch

1:00 pm  TASK FORCE SESSIONS...Developing resolutions and sharing campaigns

* Habitat and Biodiversity Task Force
* Sustainable Waters Task Force
* Nuclear Free /Green Energy Task Force
* Clean Production Task Force

3:15 pm  Break

3:30 pm  Great Lakes United business

* Board Elections, President's and Treasurers' Reports, Strategic Planning, Citizens Action Agenda

4:30 pm  Caucus meetings

* Indigenous Peoples
* Labor
* Special opportunity!  Dr. Mary O'Brien Workshop on speaking in public

5:30 pm  Break

6:00 pm  Reception and Barbecue Presentation of John Manty Award & silent auction

Sunday, June 6

9:00 am   Resolutions adopted

10:00 am  Task Force Reports Out

10:30 am  Break

10:45 am  Task Force Reports Out continued

11:15 am  "GOOD NEWS" IN THE GREAT LAKES

* Native Fish Restoration: Betty Trometer -- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
* Youth Making a Difference in the Community
* Connecting the Great Lakes with Inland Communities
* Cancer Prevention Campaigns in Canada

12:30 pm  Adjourn

Directions

From East (New York):  I-90 West to Erie. Get off I-90 at Exit 41 (North East). Take Rt. 89 North through the town to second light (Division Street). Turn left to enter Mercyhurst North East campus. Parking lot entrance on Rt. 89 North