GLIN==> Aquatic Invasive Species Awareness Week

Governor Jennifer Granholm has proclaimed June 7-13, 2004, as the second annual Aquatic Invasive Species Awareness Week in Michigan to encourage people to find ways to prevent the spread and introduction of aquatic invasive species in our waters.  The Department of Environmental Quality's Office of the Great Lakes (OGL) is sponsoring Aquatic Invasive Species Awareness with collaborative efforts from other state and federal agencies as well as private and nonprofit organizations.

A special focus of this year's AIS Awareness Week is the potential threat to our waters posed by hydrilla, an aggressive, aquatic plant.   So far, biologists have found no evidence of hydrilla in Michigan's shallow Great Lakes bays or 11,000 inland lakes and thousands of miles of streams.  However, the level of concern for ecological damage and economic harm to Michigan's water resources has increased due to the fact that hydrilla is now known to exist in two Great Lakes states, Pennsylvania and New York.  You can find out how to join the hydrilla hunt by visiting www.miseagrant.umich.edu/ans

For more information about AIS week check out www.michigan.gov/deqaquaticinvasives or contact the Office of the Great Lakes at 517-335-4056.