GLIN==> Seiche Newsletter Available

Hello!

Minnesota Sea Grant's June "Seiche" Newsletter is now online
http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/seiche/index.html

Topics include:

--Rip Currents Hit Home. Sea Grant is working nationally and on a Great
Lakes level to inform people how to escape deadly rip currents, which
caused a death in Lake Superior last summer.

--Bacteria on the Beach.  Occasional problems were found with bacteria
on Lake Superior beaches last summer and a team of Sea Grant-funded
researchers is helping pinpoint potential sources of  elevated bacteria
levels.

--Sea Grant Helps Efforts to Reduce Storm Runoff. Sea Grant is part of
a team working to protect and enhance the region's water resources
through stormwater pollution prevention by providing coordinated
educational programs and technical assistance.

--Great Lakes Ecological Change Detectives. In light of the importance
of coastal ecosystems, 27 investigators and an army of assistants have
been collecting, measuring, analyzing and digitizing conditions of the
U.S. Great Lakes coastline for the Great Lakes Environmental Indicator
(GLEI) project.

--Updated Lake Superior Info. Available. Our general brochure about
Lake Superior, "Superior Pursuit," has been updated with the latest
facts and figures.

--Discover "A View From the Lake." We are helping conduct a series of
Lake Superior boat trips this summer that will allow residents from
Bayfield, WI, to Grand Marais, MN, to view their communities and
associated development from the water.

--Liquid Science Speaker Series Continues. Soak up the latest
information concerning the Great Lakes and Minnesota's waters this
summer by attending our monthly series of talks in Duluth and Grand
Marais, MN.

Marie Zhuikov (pronounced zwee-cough)
Communications Coordinator
University of MN Duluth Sea Grant Program
mzhuikov@umn.edu
(218) 726-7677   Fax: (218) 726-6556
www.seagrant.umn.edu