GLIN==> NY DEC ANNOUNCES PUBLIC MEETINGS ON GREAT LAKES ANNEX AGREEMENTS

Submitted by Don Zelazny <dezelazn@gw.dec.state.ny.us>

---
For Release: IMMEDIATE
Tuesday, September 7, 2004

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/greatlakes/draftannex.html

Contact: Michael Fraser
(518) 402-8000

DEC ANNOUNCES PUBLIC MEETINGS ON GREAT LAKES ANNEX AGREEMENTS

Sessions Provide Opportunities for Public Input for Future Resource
Management

            The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
(DEC) today announced it will conduct public meetings in Niagara Falls on
September 14th, Rochester on September 15th, and Watertown on September 16th
to solicit comments from all interested parties about the draft Great Lakes
Water Management Agreements, referred to as the Draft Annex Implementing
Agreements.

            Governor George E. Pataki, in conjunction with the Council of
Great Lakes Governors and the Premiers of Ontario and Quebec, released the
draft agreements on July 19, 2004 for a public comment period that closes
October 18, 2004.  The proposed protective measures on all future water
withdrawals, which will provide historic protections for the waters of the
Great Lakes and St. Lawrence River Basin, are the result of three years of
efforts by the eight Great Lakes States and Provinces to address
conservation and usage issues in the Great Lakes Basin.

            For background information and copies of the draft documents,
visit the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation's website
at

                        http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/greatlakes/index.html

            Specific meeting dates, times, and locations are:

$
Tuesday, September 14, 2004, 6 - 8:30 p.m.

            Niagara Falls Public Library, 1425 Main Street, Niagara Falls

$          Wednesday, September 15, 2004, 6:30 - 9 p.m.

            R.I.T. Inn & Conference Center, 5257 West Henrietta Road, West
Henrietta

$          Thursday, September 16, 2004, 6:30 - 9 p.m.

            Dulles State Office Building, 11th Floor Conf. Room, 317
Washington St., Watertown

Directions:

To Niagara Falls Public Library From I-90:

Take I-90 to Exit 50 (I-290 to Niagara Falls).  Follow I-290 to merge with
I-190 North across Grand Island and proceed to Exit 22 (Niagara Falls Blvd -
West).        Proceed west on Niagara Falls Blvd. towards downtown Niagara
Falls.  After crossing Packard Road, bear right off Niagara Falls Blvd. onto
Rte 62A Pine Ave.  Proceed west on Pine and turn right on Portage Road.
Proceed north on Portage Road to the Main Library on the right at 1425 Main
Street.  Meeting is in Auditorium.

To R.I.T. Inn & Conference Center From I-90:

Take I-90 East or West (depending on starting location) to Exit 46 (I-390
and Rte. 15 North).  Do not get on I-390 but follow the signs to Rte. 253
(Lehigh Station Rd.). Turn left onto Rte. 253 W. Turn left onto Rte. 15 S
(W. Henrietta Rd).  The RqIqT Inn & Conference Center is 1/2 mile on the
right at  5257 West Henrietta Road.  Follow signs to meeting room.

To Dulles State Office Building in Watertown:

>From I-90 take Exit 36 (I-81 North) and proceed north on I-81 to Exit 44
(Watertown Center).  Turn left at Stop sign at the end of exit ramp, proceed
to next Stop sign and turn right on Rices Road (Rte. 232), continue to next
Stop sign and turn left on Washington Street (Rte. 11). Follow Washington
Street north to State Office Building on right at 317 Washington Street
(across street from Best Western Hotel).  Meeting is in 11th floor
conference room.

###