GLIN==> Northeast-Midwest Weekly Update -- 6 December 2004

HOME PAGENEWSSEARCHCONTACT USNORTHEAST-MIDWEST INSTITUTE

ABOUT USECONOMIC DATAREPORTSRESOURCESPOLICY STUDIES

Weekly Update 6 December 2004

HIGHLIGHTS

·        LaTourette Elected Coalition Co-Chair

·        Manufacturing Extension Partnership

·        Energy Information

·        Appropriations

LaTourette Elected Coalition Co-Chair

Rep. Steven LaTourette (R-OH) has been elected the Republican co-chair of the Northeast-Midwest Congressional Coalition.  He replaces Rep. Jack Quinn (R-NY), who is retiring from Congress, and he joins Democratic co-chair Marty Meehan (D-MA).

"I'm honored to serve as co-chair of the Northeast-Midwest Coalition and look forward to advancing issues of importance to our states," LaTourette said.  "I am especially interested in environmental initiatives and efforts to assist the manufacturing sector.”

Manufacturing Extension Partnership

The Senate Task Force on Manufacturing will be sending a letter asking the White House’s Office of Management and Budget to support the Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) program with a funding level of $109 million in the president’s fiscal 2006 budget request.  The signature deadline is close of business today, Monday, 6 December.  Contact is Kris Sarri at the Northeast-Midwest Congressional Coalition (202/224-0606).

Energy Information

Leaders of the Northeast-Midwest Senate and Congressional Coalitions have asked the energy secretary to support additional funding for the Energy Information Administration (EIA) in fiscal 2006.  The lawmakers – Senators Susan Collins (R-ME) and Jack Reed (D-RI) and Reps. Steve LaTourette (R-OH) and Marty Meehan (D-MA) – emphasized the department’s multi-year effort to upgrade and improve EIA’s data collection and analysis of energy markets, particularly petroleum markets.

Appropriations

Click here for to review charts of fiscal 2005 funding for key regional programs.

Calendar | Media Links | Reports/Periodicals

Northeast-Midwest Institute

218 D St, SE

Washington DC 20003

Ph. 202 544 5200