GLIN==> Northeast-Midwest Weekly Update -- 17 January 2005

HOME PAGENEWSSEARCHCONTACT USNORTHEAST-MIDWEST INSTITUTE

ABOUT USECONOMIC DATAREPORTSRESOURCESPOLICY STUDIES

Weekly Update 17 January 2005

HIGHLIGHTS

·        Reps. Boehlert and Doyle Join Leadership of Manufacturing Task Force

·        Great Lakes Task Force Organizational Meeting

·        Northeast-Midwest Economic Review

Reps. Boehlert and Doyle Join Leadership of Manufacturing Task Force

Reps. Sherwood Boehlert (R-NY) and Mike Doyle (D-PA) have become co-chairs of the House Manufacturing Task Force, a bipartisan coalition that advances the industrial sector.

Rep. Boehlert said, "As co-chair of the House Manufacturing Task Force, I will continue to work with my colleagues to find ways to keep our existing manufacturers operating here at home. We have taken tremendous strides to increase funding for job-training opportunities and continue funding the Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) program. MEP has played a vital role in helping manufacturers meet the significant challenges they face and maintain their competitive edge. In addition, transitioning into a more high-tech workforce will be the key to continue growing and strengthening our economy."

Congressman Doyle stated, “While manufacturing no longer dominates the economy of the United States the way it once did, the future health of the U.S. economy still depends on the continued growth and technological development of our nation’s manufacturing sector.  That’s why I’ve been working for years to promote the adoption of advanced manufacturing processes in southwestern Pennsylvania and across the country – and why I’m so excited about serving as a co-chair of the Northeast-Midwest Coalition’s Manufacturing Task Force in the 109th Congress.”

Reps. Boehlert and Doyle join Reps. Steven LaTourette (R-OH) and Marty Meehan (D-MA) as Task Force co-chairs.  The Task Force’s staff contact is Michael Beckerman (202/225-5731).  The Senate Manufacturing Task Force is co-chaired by Sens. Joseph Lieberman (D-CT) and Olympia Snowe (R-ME) and its staff contact is Kris Sarri (202/224-0606).

Great Lakes Task Force Organizational Meeting

The Great Lakes congressional delegation will meet on Friday, January 21, to discuss legislative and appropriations issues for 2005.  The meeting is open to congressional staff only.  Contact is Joy Mulinex at 202/224-1211.

Another pending Great Lakes event will be the annual Great Lakes Congressional Breakfast, scheduled for Tuesday, 2 March, in the Rayburn House Office Building.

Northeast-Midwest Economic Review

Click here to read the most recent issue of the Northeast-Midwest Economic Review. Dick Munson examines innovative electric technologies that are transforming the power industry. Matt Kane explores the public-sector role in economic development. Charles Bartsch reviews how states are meeting the multiple challenges and common objectives of brownfield reuse.

Calendar | Media Links | Reports/Periodicals

Northeast-Midwest Institute

218 D St, SE

Washington DC 20003

Ph. 202 544 5200