GLIN==> Northeast-Midwest Weekly Update -- 31 January 2005

HOME PAGENEWSSEARCHCONTACT USNORTHEAST-MIDWEST INSTITUTE

ABOUT USECONOMIC DATAREPORTSRESOURCESPOLICY STUDIES

Weekly Update – 31 January 2005

HIGHLIGHTS

·        Briefing:  Combined Heat and Power’s Impact on Tight Natural Gas Markets

·        Press Conference:  LIHEAP Supporters Seek Increased Funding

·        Rep. Kirk Elected Co-Chair of House Great Lakes Task Force

·        Great Lakes Newsletters

·        Regional Analysis of President’s Fiscal 2006 Budget

Briefing:  Combined Heat and Power’s Impact on Tight Natural Gas Markets

Experts on Monday, January 31, will discuss how combined-heat-and-power (CHP) technologies can ease tight natural gas markets.  Bruce Henning, Energy and Environmental Analysis, Inc., will provide an overview of the role CHP technologies could play in natural gas markets.  Michael Parr, Dupont Corporation, will discuss what’s at stake from an industrial perspective on natural gas markets.  Catherine Van Way, Cummins, Inc., will cover what needs to change so CHP technologies can compete in today’s energy markets.

The January 31 session is sponsored by the Northeast-Midwest Senate Coalition and Environmental and Energy Study Institute.  It will run from 1:30 pm to 3:00 pm in 236 Russell Senate Office Building.

Contact:  Diane DeVaul at the Northeast-Midwest Institute (202/544-5200).

Press Conference:  LIHEAP Supporters Seek Increased Funding

Senators Jack Reed (D-RI), Mark Dayton (D-MN), James Jeffords (I-VT), and Mark Pryor (D-AR) will hold a news conference on Tuesday, February 1, at 10:30 am at the corner of Delaware and Constitution Avenues NE (next to the Russell Senate Office Building).  Joined by consumer advocates and utility representatives from 17 states, the lawmakers will seek increased funding for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).

At a separate event, the National Fuel Funds Network (NFFN) will honor Senators Arlen Specter (R-PA) and Edward Kennedy (D-MA) with its 20-Year Anniversary Award for Legislative Achievement for LIHEAP, and it will salute Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-NY) with the NFFN Extra Mile Award for Legislative Achievement for LIHEAP in 2003-04.

LIHEAP, which helps poor families afford their energy bills, is funded at $1.9 billion for the current fiscal year, with an additional $300 million in emergency funds.  Responding to appeals from the Northeast-Midwest Senate Coalition, President Bush in December ordered the release of $100 million of the emergency funds.  Noting high energy prices and cold weather, Coalition members are seeking the release of the remaining $200 million.

Contact:  Kris Sarri with the Northeast-Midwest Senate Coalition (202/224-0606).

Rep. Kirk Elected Co-Chair of House
Great Lakes Task Force

Rep. Mark Kirk (R-IL) has been elected the new Republican co-chair of the House Great Lakes Task Force.  Kirk joins Reps. James Oberstar (D-MN), Vernon Ehlers (R-MI), and John Dingell (D-MI), who continue to serve as House co-chairs, and he replaces Rep. Steven LaTourette (R-OH), who now co-chairs the Northeast-Midwest Congressional Coalition.  Rep. Kirk, who is beginning his third term and is a member of the Appropriations Committee, has been an advocate for the Great Lakes and strongly supports action on mercury releases and sewage overflows.

“I am honored to be elected co-chair of the Great Lakes Task Force,” said Rep. Kirk.  “Protecting our Great Lakes is critical to preserving our way of life and our children’s environmental heritage.  I look forward to working with other members of the task force in developing a strategy that speeds up the clean up of our Great Lakes.”

Great
Lakes Newsletters

The January 2005 issue of the Great Lakes Congressional Report can be found at http://www.nemw.org/glcr0105.pdf.  The first issue of the Great Lakes Cities Initiative’s quarterly newsletter can be found at http://www.nemw.org/glci/glci0105.pdf.

Regional Review of the President’s Fiscal 2006 Budget

The Northeast-Midwest groups on Monday, February 7, will provide a regional analysis of President Bush’s fiscal 2006 budget proposal.  The report will be available by 3:30 pm to members of the Northeast-Midwest Congressional and Senate Coalitions, officials with states that support the Institute, and regional reporters.  While the document will examine federal programs affecting the Northeast and Midwest, it will include only very limited state-specific information and no local analysis.  Contact:  Matt Kane with the Northeast-Midwest Institute (612/825-0443).

Calendar | Media Links | Reports/Periodicals

Northeast-Midwest Institute

218 D St, SE

Washington DC 20003

Ph. 202 544 5200