GLIN==> Governor Doyle Announces $1.78 Million in Grants for Wisconsin's Coastal Communities

Title: Governor Doyle Announces $1.78 Million in Grants for Wisconsin's Coastal Communities

For Immediate Release
Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Ethnie Groves, Governor's Office, 608-261-2156

Governor Doyle Announces $1.78 Million in Grants for Wisconsin's Coastal Communities

Governor Jim Doyle today announced $1.78 million in grants to protect and enhance Wisconsin's coastal communities. Administered by the Wisconsin Department of Administration's Coastal Management Program, the federal grants will be used by nonprofit organizations, as well as local, state, and tribal governments to assist with projects totaling nearly $5 million.

"Wisconsin's Great Lakes and their coastal resources are natural, cultural, and economic treasures," Governor Doyle said. "Caring for our lakes is an important part of maintaining our quality of life in Wisconsin, and I am pleased that these funds will help so many valuable projects that are working to preserve our heritage."

The intergovernmental and private sector collaborations aided by the Wisconsin Coastal Management Grants advance the priorities of the Council of Great Lakes Governors such as sustainable use practices and pollution control. As co-chair of the council, Governor Doyle is working with his Great Lakes colleagues, federal cabinet agencies, tribes, and the Great Lakes Cities organization to develop an action plan by December 2005 for the long-term health of the lakes.

"Healthy Great Lakes are important to all of Wisconsin," Governor Doyle said. "Projects receiving grants this year are working to control runoff pollution, preserve wetlands, protect critical habitats, provide for sustainable coastal communities, promote Great Lakes education, and enhance public recreational access to Lakes Michigan and Superior."

Recipients for this year's grants were recommended by the Wisconsin Coastal Management Council, a Governor-appointed citizen and governmental advisory group. The funds are part of Wisconsin's federally funded Coastal Management Program.

The Wisconsin Coastal Management Program balances natural resource protection and sustainable economic development along Wisconsin's Great Lakes coasts. The program awards federal funds from the Office of Ocean and Coastal Resource Management and U.S. Department of Commerce, to local governments and other entities for innovative coastal initiatives. Additional information is available online at http://coastal.wisconsin.gov.

A list of projects receiving grants is listed on the Governor's website: http://www.wisgov.state.wi.us/journal_media_detail.asp?prid=1058