GLIN==> Geese are vectors for antibiotic resistant bacteria

Given the occurrence of problem geese throughout Michigan, I thought
this would be of interest to the list.   I still remember how large flocks of
geese would use Michigan State University's experimental wastewater
treatment ponds years ago when they received east lansing wastewater
[the MSU ponds are no longer used for that purpose.].

Geese are vectors for antibiotic resistant bacteria....including from
CAFO wastes...which are mentioned in the article.

Free-living Canada Geese and Antimicrobial
Resistance, D. Cole et al.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol11no06/04-0717.htm

=======
This entire issue of the current Centers for Disease Control
Emerging Infectious Diseases journal is
on antibiotic resistance...be sure to see the editorial also....

Emerging Infectious Diseases journal Vol. 11,
No. 6, June 2005, is now available on the
Web.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/index.htm

introductory editorial
Antimicrobial Resistance, J.T. Weber and P.
Courvalin
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol11no06/05-0471.htm

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com