GLIN==> Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant Announces Interim Director

For Immediate Release

May 24, 2005

Sources: William Sullivan (217)333-6444; wcsulliv@uiuc.edu
                  Brian Miller (765)494-3586; bmiller3@purdue.edu

Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant Announces Interim Director

URBANA - As Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant (IISG) launches into new directions and searches for a new director, William Sullivan, the director of the Environmental Council at the University of Illinois, will lead the program.

In his role as interim director, Sullivan brings to Sea Grant a background of research on the relationships between people and their environments. He was the co-founder of the Human-Environment Research Lab and is a U of I associate professor of landscape architecture, natural resources and community development. Sullivan succeeds Dick Warner, who led the Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant College Program since 2001.

"This is a great and finely-tuned program," said Sullivan, "My task is to keep it running, but I also hope to open doors to new partners and expanded visibility, especially in Chicago. The southern Lake Michigan region faces significant concerns related to aging infrastructure, urban growth and sustainability of natural resources. Through Sea Grant science, we can help foster healthy communities."

IISG is one of over 30 Sea Grant programs nationwide that sponsors research, outreach and education to address coastal concerns. Funding for the program is provided by the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), U. S. Department of Commerce, the University of Illinois and Purdue University.

In recent years, through two joint appointments, IISG has expanded its partnership with the U.S. EPA Great Lakes National Program Office to address broader Great Lakes ecosystem issues such as monitoring and remediation of contaminants. Sea Grant also played a pivotal role in the signing of the historic Wingspread Tri-State Accord, an agreement by four regional planning agencies to address economic, environmental and transportation concerns across traditional boundaries. And, IISG is a key player in the Great Lakes region in efforts to manage and control the spread of aquatic invasive species.

Now, as the program completes a one-year strategic planning process, the focus will be on four new cross-cutting topic areas: Habitats and Ecosystems; Water for our Future; Coastal Cities; and Nourishing Healthy Communities.

"Many problems facing urban areas today need to be addressed from a number of perspectives," said Brian Miller, IISG associate director. "Sea Grant's new progressive approach is designed so that scientists and program staff members work together across a multitude of disciplines to achieve positive impacts in the southern Lake Michigan region."

--30--

Irene Miles
Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant
376 NSRC