GLIN==> Harmful Algal Blooms

GLIN-folks!

I wanted to let you know about some new information services and products relating to harmful algal blooms (HABs).

The NOAA Center of Excellence for Great Lakes and Human Health (CEGLHH) has just launched the first draft of a "Harmful Algal Bloom Event Response" website (http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/seagrant/GLWL/Algae/HAB/EventResponse/EventResponseDraft.html). We'll apologize in advance for the somewhat rough appeance of the site - the recent hot weather has caused some blooms to start developing a month ahead of our anticipated web-development timetable. The primary purpose of the website is to quickly make publicly available any harmful algal bloom data discovered in the course of CEGLHH or GLERL research that has potential human health consequences. We've also provided links to a variety of resources (news reports, FAQ sheets, public health contacts, research profiles, etc) and will be adding more as the summer progresses. Please bookmark the main GLERL webpage (http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/) for a link to this site as the above URL is subject to change.

The first data report on the website...
Bear Lake, Muskegon County (Lat/Lon 43.15.15/86.17.11) along the SE shoreline near dock in 1 foot water was sampled on May 26th, 2005. The location had visible evidence of slight surface scum. The bloom was dominated by Microcystis aeruginosa and Microcystis smithii. Microcystin concentrations in the samples were 6-12 micrograms per liter. This level exceeds the World Health Organization standard for microcystin concentrations in drinking water (1microgram per liter) but not the WHO recreational contact advisory (20 micrograms per liter).

We have also launched a new public listserv through GLIN for HAB-related announcements and discussions - HABCOMM. We will be posting text versions of our data announcements (as above) to this list, if you prefer this type of info in your in-box. Over time, we hope to encourage other Great Lakes HAB researchers to follow suit. We also welcome announcements of HAB-related events, news, etc. For more information and to directions on how to subscribe, go to http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/seagrant/GLWL/Algae/HAB/EventResponse/HABCOMM.html

For the amateur microscopists out there, I am also launching an early draft of the Algae section of the Great Lakes Waterlife Photo Gallery http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/seagrant/GLWL/Algae/Algae1.html. Segments on "Dominant Planktonic Algae", "Blue-Green Algae" and "Macroscopic Algae" are complete -- other segments are still 'under construction'. The gallery includes links to a host of web-based information, genus-level profiles, and field-guide style amateur keys, in addition to photos.

For more information contact:

Kanika Suri
CEGLHH
<kanika.suri@noaa.gov>