GLIN==> Water debate moves to higher ground

Dear friend,

As you know, the water use debate is simmering in Michigan again. We've just
published our take on the newly hot discussion.

Written by Michigan Land Use Institute Great Lakes Project Director Andy
Guy, the thoughtful article looks at Michigan Governor Granholm's executive
orders on water withdrawals, Republican legislators' attempts to quash it,
and the state Court of Appeals hearing on Nestle Waters vs. Michigan
Citizens for Water Conservation. The article also contains many links to our
previous coverage of the issue; together, they offer a comprehensive view of
what may be the battle of the decade over Michigan's environmental and
economic future. Andy's new article is here:

http://mlui.org/landwater/fullarticle.asp?fileid=16879

And, for an excellent, truly positive read about sustainable, water-based
economic development in the Great Lakes Basin, do check out Andy's
full-length, in-depth report, "Water Works: Growing Michigan's Great Lakes
Opportunities." It describes a new way of thinking about water resource
development that is emerging in the region, and the political, business, and
technology savvy needed to keep our collective future -- and the Great
Lakes' -- bright. There's a text version here:

http://mlui.org/landwater/fullarticle.asp?fileid=16850.

There's a dowloadable PDF version here:

http://mlui.org/landwater/fullarticle.asp?fileid=16850

Or you can order copies of the handsome publication here:

http://mlui.org/productlist.asp#77

Thanks, and we hope this finds you well!

Jim Dulzo
Managing Editor
Michigan Land Use Institute