GLIN==> Ohio Sea Grant?s Strategic Plan for 2005-10 and Implementation Plans for 2004-06 and 2005-07

SUBJECT:     Ohio Sea Grant?s Strategic Plan for 2005-10 and Implementation Plans for 2004-06 and 2005-07

I am very pleased to inform you that a copy of the Strategic Plan for the Ohio Sea Grant College Program, including Stone Laboratory, the Center for Lake Erie Area Research (CLEAR), and the Great Lakes Aquatic Ecosystem Research Consortium (GLAERC), for the period 2005-10, is available on our web site at www.sg.ohio-state.edu. This plan contains 11 thematic areas and is modeled after the 2003-08 Strategic Plan of the National Sea Grant College Program.  It also incorporates the nine priorities of the Council of Great Lakes Governors and the Academic Plan and Leadership Agenda of The Ohio State University.  Initial work on the plan began in late 2003 and included public hearings with the Great Lakes Commission, five focus group meetings of our private sector advisory committees, a web survey with 187 respondents, and a great deal of input on numerous drafts from our extension agents, communications staff, Sea Grant investigators, the Friends of Stone Laboratory, and our advisory committee members.

You will also find copies of our Implementation Plans for 2004-06 and 2005-07.  Both of these plans were developed using the same input described above for the Strategic Plan.  The 2004-06 Plan is in the format of our old Strategic Plan covering the period 2000-05.  The National Sea Grant College Program requires implementation plans that are updated every two years.    While this plan is in the old format, I believe it is an extremely valuable document because it includes every research, education, and outreach project (86 projects in all) that we supported between 1 February 2000 and 31 March 2005 to implement the Strategic Plan.  All of these projects can be reviewed on our web site at www.sg.ohio-state.edu.  We will continue to use this strategy with the new Implementation Plan.  The 2005-07 Implementation Plan continues to use our format of Goals, Objectives, and Actions.  This is a living document that will be revised frequently and reprinted every two years.  While it is very likely that we will have projects during the next 5 years that address all 11 thematic areas, we have also prioritized the 11 areas for Ohio.

We hope you find these documents to be informative and enjoyable to read and peruse.  Please don?t hesitate to call or write if you have comments on our work and priorities or suggestions for new projects and programs.

Jeffrey M. Reutter, Ph.D., President
National Association of Marine Laboratories, and
Director
Ohio Sea Grant College Program,
F.T. Stone Laboratory,
Center for Lake Erie Area Research (CLEAR), and the
Great Lakes Aquatic Ecosystem Research Consortium (GLAERC)
The Ohio State University
Area 100 Research Center, 1314 Kinnear Rd., Columbus, Ohio 43212
tel (614)292-8949; fax (614)292-4364; email reutter.1@osu.edu
http://www.sg.ohio-state.edu/
"Always do right.  This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."   --Mark Twain
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement."  --Will Rogers
"
Learn from the mistakes of others--you won't live long enough to make them all yourself."
"Being humble doesn't mean thinking less of yourself, it means thinking of yourself less."