GLIN==> Public meetings planned for IJC Upper Lakes Plan of Study

Submitted by Keith Kompoltowicz <keith.w.kompoltowicz@usace.army.mil>
---

Upper Lakes Plan of Study Revision Team

          United States

LTC Donald Lauzon, Co-Chair

Cynthia Sellinger

Martin Jannereth

Canada

Paul Pilon, Co-Chair

David Fay

Allan Chow

This letter is to invite your input on a revised Plan of Study on the water levels and outflows of the upper Great Lakes.

In 2002, a team established by the International Joint Commission (IJC) prepared the Upper Great Lakes Plan of Study for Review of the Regulation of Outflows from Lake Superior.  The main objectives of the study were to: 1) review the regulation of the outflows from Lake Superior in light of the impacts on levels, flows and affected interests in the upper Great Lakes system, from Lake Superior through Lake Erie, including the environment; 2) identify and assess changes to the regulation plan to meet contemporary and emerging needs of the interests, managing the system in a sustainable manner, including climate change scenarios; and, 3) evaluate any options to improve the regulation of Lake Superior outflows.  The governments, to date, have not funded this proposed study.

In May of this year, the IJC set up a new team to revise the 2002 Plan of Study, directing that two additional objectives be added.  One is to examine past and on-going physical changes in the St. Clair River and their impacts on the river flow and water levels of the upper Great Lakes.  The other is to take into consideration the lessons learned from the five-year International Lake Ontario ? St. Lawrence River Study, which is now nearing its completion.  The revised Plan of Study is to be completed and submitted to the IJC by October 14, 2005.  We anticipate having a draft revised Plan of Study available by August 25, 2005.  An electronic version will be available to download or view on-line at:

http://www.ijc.org, which links to Boards and Current Task Forces

From the outset, we have recognized the value of public consultation.  We are writing to inform you about the consultation process that the team has planned and invite you to participate in this important component to revise the Upper Lakes Plan of Study.  We ask you to review the draft revised Plan of Study and, if at all possible, participate in one of the four consultation sessions we are planning during September.  The meetings will provide an opportunity for the team members to inform you about the objectives of the team?s work and its progress, and to personally receive your comments and advice on the draft revised Plan of Study, Lake Superior outflow regulation, and other issues related to the water levels and flows of the upper Great Lakes.  The dates and locations of the sessions are:

September 1, 2005  Parry Sound, Ontario

Starting Time: 5:00 p.m.

West Parry Sound District Museum

Lion Room

17 George Street

Parry Sound, Ontario

September 13, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario

            Starting Time: 7:00 p.m.

            Civic Centre, Russ Ramsay Room

Level 3

            99 Foster Drive

            Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario

September 14, 2005  Port Huron, Michigan

Starting Time: 7:00 p.m.

St. Clair County Administration Building Auditorium

200 Grand River Avenue

Port Huron, Michigan

September 15, 2005  St. Joseph, Michigan

Starting Time: 7:00 p.m.

St. Joseph MI City Hall Commission Chambers, 2nd floor

700 Broad St. at corner of Main Street

St. Joseph, Michigan

We would be most pleased should you be able to attend one of these meetings.  If this is not possible, we would still like to receive your input.  We would ask that you provide written comments to either one of undersigned prior to September 19, 2005 using the contact information provided below.  Doing so will help ensure that the revision team has enough time to finalize the revised Plan of Study and submit it to the IJC by the October 14, 2005 deadline.

Please feel free to share this invitation to participate in the consultation process with your family, friends, and associates.  In order to help facilitate logistical arrangements, we ask that those planning to attend a consultation session RSVP to either of us prior to August 25, 2005, indicating which consultation meeting they plan to attend.  Those who have RSVP?d will be notified in advance of any updates or changes.  Updates will also be posted at:

http://www.ijc.org, which has links to Boards and Current Task Forces

Sincerely,

Peter Yee, Canadian Secretary                                  Scott Thieme, United States Secretary
Upper Lakes Plan of Study Revision Team                Upper Lakes Plan of Study Revision Team

867 Lake Shore Road                                                 Great Lakes Hydraulics and Hydrology Office

P.O. Box 5050                                                            U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Detroit District

Burlington, ON  L7R 4A6                                            477 Michigan Avenue

Telephone: 905-336 4946                                           Detroit, MI  48226

e-mail: Peter.Yee@ec.gc.ca                                      Telephone: 313- 226 6440

e-mail:  Scott.J.Thieme@lre02.usace.army.mil