GLIN==> Michigan Sea Grant Receives $ 2.597 Million in Federal Support

Title: Michigan Sea Grant Receives $ 2.597 Million in Federal Sup
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Press Office
Phone: 202.228.3685

Michigan Sea Grant Receives $ 2.597 Million in Federal Support, Sens. Levin and Stabenow Announce

WASHINGTON - Sens. Carl Levin and Debbie Stabenow, both D-Mich., announced today that National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)-National Sea Grant has awarded Michigan Sea Grant nearly $2.6 million over two years to support Great Lakes research, education and outreach programs.

 "The research performed by Michigan Sea Grant provides us invaluable information about challenges facing the Great Lakes, including findings that are crucial to water quality, species habitat, and public health," Levin said. "This funding will permit Michigan Sea Grant to continue important research projects on the lakes, including a review of E. coli bacteria in our coastal sand, and a study of human activities near on shoreline fish communities."

"Our future is directly tied to the Great Lakes. As stewards of the lakes, we must make every effort to protect these great Michigan and national resources," Stabenow said. "Michigan Sea Grant and its education and outreach projects play an important role in that effort."

See the complete news release at http://levin.senate.gov/newsroom/release.cfm?id=245394

--
Elizabeth LaPorte
Communications Program Director & Education Program Co-Leader, Michigan Sea Grant College Program