GLIN==> New Water Conservation Organization

  U.S. EPA REGION 5 NEWS RELEASE
              ------------------------------

CONTACT: Phillippa Cannon, (312) 353-6218

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
No. 05-OPA264

EPA: New water conservation organization to be headquartered in Chicago

CHICAGO (Dec. 12, 2005) - U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Stephen L. Johnson, Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley and Executive Director of the California Urban Water Conservation Council Mary Ann Dickinson, today announced that the headquarters of a new water conservation organization will be in Chicago.  The organization, the Alliance for Water Efficiency, will be a clearinghouse and advocate for water efficiency research, evaluation and education.

"Wise water use means more than just turning off a dripping faucet.  Water efficiency is a smart, cost-effective solution to the quality and supply challenges facing one of our nation's most precious natural resources," said Administrator Johnson.  "Together with partners like the Alliance for Water Efficiency, EPA is promoting the ethic of conserving our water resources - ensuring the availability of clean water for future generations of Americans."

"Water conservation is an important issue in Chicago as exemplified by our Water Agenda," said Mayor Daley. "We look forward to welcoming the alliance to Chicago and continuing to work on this important issue."

"We are delighted we could work with stakeholders nationwide to develop the goals and programs for a new national organization focused on water efficiency," said Executive Director Dickinson. "There is extraordinary interest from a wide variety of groups including water suppliers, government officials, environmentalists, plumbing and appliance manufacturers, irrigation professionals, and building developers to pull together a program of water efficiency options that will benefit the nation as a whole."

"This timely effort complements the leadership of Great Lakes governors as they advance water conservation and efficiency in the Annex 2001 Agreements later this week," said Benjamin H. Grumbles, EPA Assistant Administrator for Water.

Efficient use of water has numerous environmental and economic benefits including:

* conserving and protecting water supplies
* lowering water bills
* avoiding the need for the construction of new treatment and distribution facilities
* allowing for new growth using existing water resources
* reducing wastewater
* maintaining water flow for fish and aquatic creatures
* reducing ground-water depletion and contamination
* reducing pollution
* minimizing the effects of drought

For more information on EPA's water conservation program: www.epa.gov/owm/water-efficiency/

For more information on the effort by the California Urban Water Conservation Council, visit www.cuwcc.org/national_cwe.lasso.

                             #  #  #

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com