From: owner-glin-announce@great-lakes.net
[mailto:owner-glin-announce@great-lakes.net] On Behalf Of Steven Pollack
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2006 3:51 PM
To: Martha Waszak; ENVIROMICH; GLIN; OGLLIST
Subject: Re: GLIN==> REMINDER- Funding Opportunity Helps Citizens Get
Involved in Protectingthe Great Lakes

Hello,

I just want to comment on my situation in case it is similar to other
environmental groups.  There are several nice funding programs for
environmental groups doing work in the great lakes basin.  Unfortunately, in
my case, I am not a 501(c)(3) so I pass each time I see these funding
opportunities.  It might be nice to be able to get $500 or $1000 to send out
an advocacy mailing to the towns affected by my issue.

I certainly understand that limiting these grants to organizations with
accountable paperwork protects the interest of the donor from having their
money wasted.  However, in my case it is not worth the paperwork headache to
set up a charitable organization.

I simply research the issues, contact local politicians, and work my
website.  i.e. the cheap stuff.  I imagine there are many similarly situated
grassroots organizations doi ng the heavy lifting on various issues that are
too small to form a 501(c)(3) yet are deserving of a little financial
support.

Something to think about.

Steven Pollack
Citizens for a Cleaner Lake Michigan
http://www.Landfill7.com

Martha Waszak <waszakm@michigan.gov> wrote:

*REMINDER*
Funding Opportunity Helps Citizens Get Involved in Protecting the Great
Lakes

Michigan's waterways, the Department of Environmental Quality's Office of
the Great Lakes is continuing to support local efforts to prevent and
control aquatic invasive species (AIS) through the fourth annual Aquatic
Invasive Species Information and Education Small Grants Program .

"This funding opportunity will assist Michigan's citizens who are looking
for ways to get involved in helping to prevent the introduction and spread
of AIS," said OGL Director Ken DeBeaussaert.
An AIS is defined as a species that is not native, and whose introduction
causes, or is likely to cause, economic or environmental harm or harm to
human health. A total of $22,000 is available for small grants ranging from
$1,500 to $3,000.

The program, administered by the Michigan Great Lakes Protection Fund,
utilizes proceeds from the sale of the 2005 Great Lakes Protection Fund
decal to fund local information and education initiatives to prevent and
control AIS introductions and spread throughout Michigan waters. Examples of
eligible projects include boater education programs, training and monitoring
programs, early detection and rapid response activities.

Nonprofit 501(c)(3) organizations, schools, tribes, and local units of
government are invited to app ly. The application deadline is January 20,
2006 with grant periods beginning April 3, 2006. For more information on
this grant opportunity or to obtain the full request for proposals and grant
application, please visit www.michigan.gov/deqmiglprotectionfund, or contact
the OGL at 517-335-4056.