GLIN==> Council of Canadians Campaigner Susan Howatt this week in the Great Lakes Town Hall

Title: Council of Canadians Campaigner Susan Howatt this week in the Great Lakes Town Hall
This Week in the Great Lakes Town Hall . . .
GLTH Email Header
Dear Great Lakes Neighbor,

Each week we invite grassroots activists, artists, officials, physicians, parents, young people and others to offer insightful commentary on their Great Lakes experiences and views. Of course, we also invite you to comment on their thoughts.

This week, the Great Lakes Town Hall is pleased to welcome Council of Canadians national water campaigner, Susan Howatt. As you'll see from her bio below, Susan's experience and work extends well beyond the Great Lakes region. Don't miss this chance to read a new essay from Susan every day this week - only in the Great Lakes Town Hall!

About Susan Howatt . . .

Susan Howatt is the national water campaigner with the Council of Canadians, the largest citizen watchdog group in Canada. Before joining the Council, she was the international campaigner with the Indonesian Mining Advocacy Network (Jatam), an organization that works with communities impacted by the mining industry.

Susan was the cofounder of Unofficial Opposition, an umbrella group that advocated for social services in British Columbia. She has worked extensively as a communications consultant for anti-poverty, first nations and human rights groups in Vancouver and served as a human rights observer in Chiapas, Mexico.

In addition to guest speakers, the Great Lakes Town Hall focuses on a new featured Great Lakes issue each week. This week co-moderator Dave Dempsey turns his eye toward How we Measure Great Lakes Progress . . . : "Hundreds of millions of public dollars are spent each year on the Great Lakes and we hope that will increase soon. But how does the public find out whether the Great Lakes are getting healthier or sicker? Why is it so difficult for the states, provinces and national governments to come up with a "report card" on the Great Lakes that citizens can understand? If there was such a report card, what do you think it should contain?"

Don't miss this great opportunity to read and comment on our featured issue - How Do We Measure Great Lakes Progress? - and the views of our guest speaker, Susan Howatt, in the Great Lakes Town Hall.

Guest speakers contribute content on a Great Lakes topic of their choice for five days. While there are basic rules of conduct, guest speakers are unedited and diverse views are welcome. If you are interested in serving as a guest speaker, please reply to this email.

Your Great Lakes Neighbor,

Jeffrey Potter
Jeffrey Potter
Biodiversity Project's Great Lakes Town Hall

phone: (608) 250-9876

Forward email

This email was sent to glin-announce@great-lakes.net, by jpotter@biodiverse.org