Title: "Spatially Distributed Surface—Subsurface Watershed Hydrology Model of Water and Materials Runoff"

Date: February 2, 2006

Time: 4:00 PM

Location: School of Natural Resources and Environment, Room 1040 Dana Building
440 Church Street, Ann Arbor, MI, 48109
(directions can be found at http://www.snre.umich.edu/contact/contact_us.php)

Abstract:
Prediction of various ecological system variables or consequences (such as beach closings), as well as effective management of pollution at the watershed scale, require estimation of both point and non-point source material transport through a watershed by hydrological processes. The Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory and Western Michigan University are developing an integrated, spatially distributed, physically-based water quality model to evaluate both agricultural non-point source loadings from soil erosion, animal manure, and pesticides, and point source loadings at the watershed level. We have reviewed available water quality models and are augmenting an existing physically based integrated surface/subsurface hydrology model. It is a two-dimensional, spatially-distributed accounting of moisture in several layers (zones) for every “cell” (1 square kilometer) of a watershed. We previously modified the model to allow flow routing between adjacent cells surface zones, upper soil zones, lower soil zones, and groundwater zones. We applied it on a daily basis to several new Great Lakes watersheds this year. We are now expanding it by adding material transport capabilities to it to include movement of other materials besides water. We have demonstrated its material transport capabilities on the several watersheds. We are also modifying the model from a daily time step to an hourly. We are now gathering information on pollutants in Saginaw Bay watersheds to apply the model to simulate the movement of various materials into the bay, producing estimates useful to ecological system forecasters.

If you have any questions or concerns, please email me at kanika.suri@noaa.gov; or call 734-741-2147. If you are coming from GLERL and would like to arrange transportation, please contact me.

For more information about the seminar series, please visit our website at http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/news/seminars/

Kanika Suri Center of Excellence for Great Lakes and Human Health (CEGLHH) 2205 Commonwealth Blvd. Ann Arbor, MI 48105

734-741-2147

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * glin-announce is hosted by the Great Lakes Information Network (GLIN): http://www.great-lakes.net