GLIN==> Minnesota Sea Grant Request for Preproposals

The University of Minnesota Sea Grant Program is announcing its biennial Request for Preproposals for coastal and Great Lakes research during February 2007 to January 2009.  We will consider all proposals for research concerning improved understanding, use, and management of Great Lakes resources, particularly related to coastal Lake Superior and the adjacent region.

Proposal principle investigators must be affiliated with a Minnesota academic institution; however, we encourage faculty to develop proposals that feature collaborative relationships with other academic institutions, resource management agencies, tribes, and industries.

We are particularly interested in receiving proposals on socio-economic research to help formulate public policies that minimize the ecological impacts of coastal development and coastal resource use. Research proposals that fit the following broad themes are encouraged.

Aquatic invasive species
Biotechnology
Coastal communities
Coastal natural hazards
Digital oceans
Ecosystems and habitats
Fisheries
Urban coasts

The deadline for preproposal submission is February 24, 2006.  Projects are typically funded for $30,000 to $50,000 per year for up to two years, excluding costs of graduate students and ship time. See Minnesota Sea Grant's web site for the full RFP, forms, proposal guidelines, and online submission:
http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/rfp/

Marie Zhuikov (pronounced zwee-cough)
Communications Coordinator
University of MN Duluth Sea Grant Program
mzhuikov@umn.edu
(218) 726-7677   Fax: (218) 726-6556
www.seagrant.umn.edu