GLIN==> News Release - Graduate Students Supported by Sea Grant

Note - image of Allison Gamble is attached.

                              MN SEA GRANT
                              NEWS RELEASE

2/13/06
Contact: Marie Zhuikov, mzhuikov@umn.edu or (218) 726-7677

SEA GRANT BOOSTS FUTURE OF AQUATIC SCIENCE

By awarding over $507,000 for graduate student research project support, the University of Minnesota Sea Grant Program is extending the country's commitment to aquatic science.

"Engaging top-notch graduates in water-related research, policy, and education is critical to solving the world's looming water issues," said Jeff Gunderson, Minnesota Sea Grant acting director.

Minnesota Sea Grant is supporting the equivalent of nine graduate students for two years, exposing them to the latest techniques used to address questions about Lake Superior and Minnesota's inland lakes under the supervision of University of Minnesota faculty. The graduate funding augments $566,650 that Sea Grant awarded University faculty for research projects last March.

This year's flock of Sea Grant graduates is pursuing research on topics such as the sources of beach bacteria, endocrine disruption, carbon cycling, and interactions between Lake Superior's physical and biological processes.

Allison Gamble, a graduate assistant at the University of Minnesota Duluth (UMD), spent most of last summer on the deck of a research vessel collecting data from Lake Superior.

"I've been gaining invaluable experience in the field and in the lab by working with university faculty, and also through coursework offered at UMD," said Gamble, a doctoral candidate in Water Resources Science.

Gamble's advisor is Thomas Hrabik, an assistant professor with UMD's Department of Biology. Hrabik says graduate assistants like Gamble are critical to advances in science.

"Allison's help has been essential to the progress we've made," said Hrabik. "The quality and quantity of the data we were able to obtain on how energy moves through the food web of the lake has put us in a position to compete successfully for additional grant money. There is no way I could have collected, processed, and analyzed the amount of data we did without graduate assistance."

In addition to research, Sea Grant-supported graduates are expected to make their results relevant and accessible to the public. Many will be presenting papers at conferences or producing publications in the coming months.

Minnesota Sea Grant is part of a network of 30 Sea Grant College Programs spanning coastal states throughout the United States and Puerto Rico. To learn more about Sea Grant, access www.seagrant.umn.edu or call (218) 726-8106.

--30--