Re: GLIN==> Dry cargo discharges to the Great Lakes

For more background, see the recent article in "This" Magazine.
http://www.thismagazine.ca/issues/2005/09/sweepingitunder.php

Note that there is criticism in this article of our workshop report, which I previous sent a link to, concerning our estimate of ~225 kg of residue discharged over the side per ship per trip. The criticism is certainly valid in the sense that the only source we had for that number was, if I recall correctly, an estimate in one of the background reports provided by the Coast Guard and identified in the workshop report. At the time of the workshop that was probably the only estimate available and was not contested by any of the Coast Guard staff involved. According to the above article there is a 2003 study initiated by the Coast Guard that may contain better data.

DFR

Beltran.Robert@epamail.epa.gov wrote:
Looking through the discussions on this issue and the documentation Dave
Reid provided, it occurs to me that the one thing that seems to have not
been much discussed, at least looking from the point of view of a
regulator, is that of quantity.  I didn't see any strict definition of a
quantitative limit in order to qualify under the policy, or of what are
the quantitative norms.  What quantities are we talking about, and is
there anything in the policy that limits those quantities, either per
the type of material, or on a per vessel basis, or from a mass loading
standpoint?  Does a permissive "deck sweepings" policy make for a
generous loophole so that it can be employed as a way of disposing of
waste bulk materials including perhaps lots that were deemed
unacceptable for off-loading at their intended destination due to
damage, contamination, or whatever?  Invariably, if a loophole can be
exploited, it will be exploited.

Robert Beltran
United States Environmental Protection Agency
OPA/Software Development Section (P-19J)
77 West Jackson Boulevard
Chicago, IL 60604
Ph: 312-353-0826
Fax: 312-353-3433
beltran.robert@epa.gov
www.epa.gov/seahome

The measure of a civilization is the extent to which it protects its weak from the excesses of the strong. - Anon.

-- David F. Reid, Ph.D. Senior Research Scientist Director, NOAA National Center for Research on Aquatic Invasive Species Task Leader, GLERL Nonindigenous Species Program Member, NOAA Invasive Species Program Management Team U.S. Department of Commerce National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory 2205 Commonwealth Blvd. Ann Arbor, MI 48105-2945 Voice: 734-741-2019 FAX: 734-741-2055 GLERL home page: http://www.glerl.noaa.gov